Chapter 21: I hope this idiot realises the precious cargo he's carrying.

Chapter 21: I hope this idiot realises the precious cargo he’s carrying.

“You’re what?” I whisper.

“It’s a tumour, the doctors thought that it would be under control by now, but it’s not.” Uncle Steve replies.

“Have you told Lexi?” I ask.

“Of course, that’s why she barged out crying the last time I talked to her.” He replies.

“How bad?” I ask.

He sighs tiredly and runs a hand through his hair, “I’m not sure yet, I’m waiting for the test results to come back.”

I sigh too, “Where have you been?”

“I had to talk to Damien.” He replies.

“Damien?” I ask.

“Our gang leader.” Zach replies, Uncle Steve nods at him.

“You’re still doing work for the gang?” I ask.

He stands up, “I need to go lie down, I’ll talk to you later alright?” He says with sincere eyes.

“Alright.” I sigh.

He gives me a bit of a smile and walks up the stairs.

I start getting very emotional about everything suddenly and start pacing.

“Hazel,” Jay says, “Calm down.”

“I can’t!” I reply, “I just found out that my Uncle has a tumour and you guys are all involved in this thing, and I don’t know where Lexi is!” I rant and go up the stairs and into my room, grabbing my phone.

I dial Lexi and pace around stressfully as I wait for her to pick up, hearing the repetitive tones of the ringing.

As I hear her voicemail start I feel hands wrap around my wrists and pry away the phone from my ear.

Jay hits the ‘end’ button and puts my phone down.

I sigh and sink into him letting him take the weight off my shoulders for a bit, literally.

“You’re not going to get any sleep tonight I can see it.” He says.

I laugh a little, “Probably not.”

“I have an idea.” He says.

“What’s that?” I ask.

“How about we have this date today instead?” He asks.

“Today? Isn’t it a little soon for you?” I reply.

He scoffs, “Come on, have a little faith.”

I smile a little, “It might be good.”

He laughs and goes to the door, “It will be good, I’ll pick you up in an hour.”

He moves out the door but then pokes his head back in, “Oh, and wear bathers.”

>>|<<

“You look perfect.” Jay says as I walk out of the door, closing it behind me. Zach and Seth left with Jay so I don’t have to worry about them.

“Thanks.” I smile, I’m wearing some ripped shorts with a baggy t-shirt, which stills looks chic, and hangs off my shoulder a little. My bikini underneath too, as per the bathers request.

I walk down the driveway and see his motorcycle at the end of it.

I look at it and stop, “Uh, we’re going on that?”