Chapter 9: Don't you know? I have magical powers that make salad talk to me.

Chapter 9: Don’t you know? I have magical powers that make salad talk to me.

As I move my salad around with my fork, Jay’s words keep buzzing through my mind like an annoying fly.

Because going into people’s pasts can draw unwanted attention.

Unwanted attention?

What unwanted attention?

I have zero idea about what ever the hell he’s going on about.

But, I must squash the unwanted ‘question fly’ because the thoughts disappear when I see Seth and Zach walking over.

“Well, well. Glad you could finally make it.” I say as they sit down.

“Yeah, yeah.” Seth waves me off.

“So where were you guys?” I ask.

Zach shrugs, “It’s healthy to skip every now and then.”

Right.” I roll my eyes.

A pissed off looking Jay comes and sits on his seat shaking his head.

“Dude, what’s got you all hormonal? Are you PMSing or something?” Zach asks.

Jay just glares at him and Zach holds up his hands in surrender.

“Seriously though,” Seth says, “What’s up?”

Jay looks at them, “Well, if you guys made it to the football meeting maybe you’d know.”

Seth slaps his forehead while Zach mutters curse words under his breath.

“What happened?” Seth asks.

“Coach quit, that’s what.” Jay replies.

What?” Seth and Zach gape.

Jay nods, “Yep, he called a meeting and said he ‘felt like he wasn’t living life to the fullest’ or some crap like that.”

“So now what do we do? Our first game is next week.” Zach says.

“You’re quarterback, you could take us.” Seth says to Jay.

Jay shakes his head, “I could take training, but if we want to play we need a coach. It’s essential.”

Seth and Zach’s faces look like their worst nightmare has come true.

“B-but, we need football.” Zach stutters.

I frown down at my salad, deep in thought. I’m trying to think back to when I was little, Dad and I were watching a game of football on the TV.

>>Flashback<<

I sit on the ground crossed legged while dad comments on the football game in front of us.

Of course, I have no idea what’s happening, but dad sounds like he’s studied the game for years.

“Dad? How do you know so much about football?” I ask.

“I used to play when I was in high school, I was the quarterback, see that guy right there?” He asks as he points to a bulky man on the screen.

Mum comes in and rolls her eyes playfully, “She’s six Daniel, you’re not already boring her with your football talk are you?” She asks.

He scoffs, “Of course not. One day, I’m going to coach a team, I’ll lead them to victory and be the best coach ever.” He smiles.

>>Flashback over<<