Chapter 8: Why is high school such a cruel place?

I get out my books from my locker and shut the door, jumping when I see slutty Courtney leaning against the locker next to mine.

I roll my eyes, “What do you want?”

She smirks and cocks her head, “Don’t you like my company Hazel?” She asks.

I smile sweetly at her, “Not particularly.”

“You do realize that Jay thinks you’re extra weight right? In both ways.” She says.

I just stare at her, Jay doesn’t think of me like that, does he?

“Aw, do you actually care? You know Jaydon Hamilton is never going to have anything to do with you right?” She asks.

Stupid Hazel! You can’t let people do that!

“I don’t care, I have someone else anyway.” I say.

She actually looks surprised this time, “Who?”

I frown and start to walk around her, “None of your business.”

“So you’re just making him up then? Geez Hazel, I didn’t think you were that desperate.” She says behind me.

I shake my head and continue walking, ignoring her.

Suddenly, Jay comes out from a door and I crash into him, before I can lose my footing, he steadies me and I smile at him.

“Thanks Jay, didn’t see you there.” I say.

He pulls his hands back and pockets them, “No problem, I kind of just came out. You heading to class?” He asks.

I nod, “Yeah.”

“I’ll walk with you.” He replies as we continue to walk.

“So Sam stopped by yesterday.” I say, to break the silence.

“Sam?” He asks.

“Oh right, yeah the guy I went on the date with.” I reply.

“Oh okay. What’d he want?” He asks.

“Well, we sort of kissed.” I admit.

“Really?” He asks sounding a little surprised.

“Yeah, I need to ask you something actually.” I say.

He looks at me, “Shoot.”

“You’ve, uh, kissed a lot of girls right?” I ask.

He frowns, “Yeah a few, but where is this going?” He asks.

“Well, I just expected there to be, you know, sparks or something. Have you ever felt anything like that?” I ask.

He licks his lips, “Well, I was close to someone once, when we kissed I think I felt something, but it wasn’t very strong. Other than that, I haven’t. Why do you ask?”

I shrug, “I guess I was just expecting something more.”

“So are you going to see him again?” He asks.

I nod, “Probably, but I still don’t know how feel about him.”

We come to the classroom and I’m not surprised to see Zach and Seth’s seats empty.

“Thanks, sorry I’m just dumping all my problems on you.” I say to Jay once we’ve sat down. I’m surprised when he sits next to me instead of in his usual seat.