Chapter 15: I am not a goody-goody.

Uncle Steve clears his throat and steps back, causing his sleeve and my hand to drop.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I ask.

“We don’t need to talk about this Hazel.” He snaps.

I can’t control my emotions, for some reason my eyes sting like they’re threating to pool over.

“You’re not my father, you’re my Uncle.” I retort.

“That’s right, I’m your fathers brother. So drop the subject.” He says.

“Why are you here?” I say, my voice rising, “Why did Aunty Laura kick you out? Why does Dad hate you? What’s going on?” I shout.

“Cut it out Hazel.” He warns.

“Or what? You’ll shot me?” I yell back.

His flinches like he’s just been slapped, the moment the words come out of my mouth I regret them.

He starts breathing deeper and looks like he’s about to say something, but than purses his lips.

“I don’t want to deal with you right now.” He says, and then he charges past me.

But as he does he shoves past my shoulder, harder than expected, causing me to fall to the ground.

He turns around at the door and I look up at him helplessly, tears spilling down my face.

He then opens the door and slams it behind him.

I stare at the door for a while, expecting him to come back in and help me off the ground like he always did when I was little.

But when there’s nothing, I start to sob.

And so I just sit on the ground, no even bothering to move.

Then I hear the door open and look up, expecting to see him. But instead I’m met with a different face.

A younger face.

The face of Jayden Hamilton.

“What are you doing here?” I ask, still sniffling a little.

He frowns at my state and then rushes over.

“Are you okay? I saw your Uncle storm out.” He says, then he looks at me closer, “He didn’t hit you did he?”

I shake my head, “No, no. Of course not, he was just a little angry.”

Instead of helping me up, he sits down next to me, we both lean against the kitchen wall.

We don’t say anything, he doesn’t push for anything or even comfort me.

It’s nice actually.

“He’s in a gang.” I finally say.

He looks at me, “What?”

I look at him, “Your gang to be specific.”

He frowns, “How?”

I shrug, “I don’t know.” Then I frown, “Why are you even here?”

“I was just sitting in the car in my driveway and realised that I really shouldn’t just leave you at home. So I decided to come back.” He replies.

My lips twitch upwards, “Well, thanks.”

“No worries.” He replies, wrapping an arm around me.