Chapter 6: Because locking people in a room makes you intelligent.

 I somehow push all my nervousness down and pick up the phone, glancing at the number as I push in the dials.

“Hello?” I hear a male voice answer.

“Hey, um Sam?” I reply.

“Hazel right?” He asks.

I quietly sigh in relief that he knows who I am.

“Yeah that right.”

“I was hoping you would call.” He says.

“I had fun yesterday.” I nod, even though he can’t see me.

“So did I. I was thinking we could catch a movie today? If you’re not busy that is.” He asks.

“Uh, what movie did you have in mind?” I ask.

“I’m not really sure what’s playing, we could decide when we get there?” He asks, hopefulness in his voice.

I nervously play with the pen on the kitchen counter.

“Sounds great. What time?” I ask.

“Well, I want to take you out to dinner after. So, about four?” He asks.

Dinner?

“Okay, will I meet you there?” I ask.

“No, I’ll pick you up. Can you text me your address?” He asks.

“Yeah sure. See you then Sam.” I smile.

“It’s a date. Bye Hazel.” He says and then hangs up.

Date? I’m going on my first date!

>>|<<

At two o’clock I’m searching through my closet, trying to find something to wear.

When the doorbell rings, I walk down the stairs in confusion.

I open the door and see Jay, Seth, and Zach. I smile and they return it, pushing past me and coming inside.

“Please, come in.” I say sarcastically as I close the door.

I walk through turn around and see them all making themselves at home on the couch.

“Make us popcorn?” Zach looks at me with puppy dogs eyes.

I would usually give in to those eyes, but I remember that I need to get ready.

“Sorry I can’t.” I say as I walk up the stairs.

“Why?” Zach yells.

“Because I have a date!” I shout back, walking into my room.

I close the door, only for it to be reopened by Zach. I see Seth and Jay behind him too.

“A date?” Zach smiles.

“Yes Zach. You know, two people, usually male and female, that go out for an evening to get to know each other and may have some romantic interest in each other?” I explain.

He rolls his eyes and enters my room, pushing past me for the second time today.

“I know what a date is, Hazel.” He says.

I usher the other two in and they sit on my bed while Zach sits on my desk chair, sitting back in it like he owns a multi-national corporation more than sitting in my room.