Chapter 17: Three Grangers & A Malfoy

Here is chapter 17, as promised. I didn't get to read over it (its a long story that includes a 5 yr old niece who wants my full and undivided attention), so it might have some mistakes. Sorry for that. I will fix it as soon as I get a chance.

And I love the video on the side. It's another Ministry of Magic song :)

Enjoy!

 *********************************************

The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.  ~Napoleon Bonaparte

            The next day flew by quite fast and in no time at all, the day had arrived for Draco to meet the Grangers.

            Although Hermione and Draco had silently agreed to not mention the events of the night they visited the Malfoy Manor, all day long Hermione’s mind flickered to it. Actually, it flickered to one thing in particular; the memory. She constantly wondered about the memory she had faintly remembered before falling asleep. She had a feeling that she had remembered something important, unfortunately she couldn’t remember what it was that she remembered.

            But the thoughts were put out of her mind as Draco arrived and they went to drop Teddy off at Shell Cottage before heading to meet the Grangers.

            “Ready?” Draco asked Hermione as they stood outside the Shell Cottage, having already dropped Teddy off.

            “Shouldn’t I be asking you that question?” countered Hermione.

            “Under regular circumstances, yes. In our circumstance, no.”

            “What is that suppose to mean?”

            “Regular circumstance would be if I were not Draco Malfoy and if you were not Hermione Granger,” answered Draco. “You are nervous enough for both of us. And just look at me, I look incredibly sexy in this suit. No one who looks this incredibly sexy could ever be nervous.”

            “Draco. You are incorrigible,” replied Hermione, stepping up to fix Draco’s tie before taking his hand to apparate to the Granger residence.

            “And I suppose your hands are shaking due to the exceptionally chilliness of this thirty-two degree Celsius weather?” Hermione asked teasingly as their feet touched ground.

            “My hands are not shaking,” Draco snapped.

            “No, my apologies. They are not shaking, they are just trembling violently,” retorted Hermione, bursting into laughter.

            Draco glared at her. “Let’s just go, meet them, and get this over with.”

            “Someone is nervous,” Hermione replied in a singy-songy voice before leading the way under Draco’s cold glare.

________________________________

            Dinner was quite uneventful. Hermione didn’t fail to notice how well Draco fit in with her family; conversing freely, cracking jokes, and complementing Mrs. Granger’s cooking. Mr. and Mrs. Granger, on the other hand, did not fail to notice how well Hermione and Draco got along, the look they shared, and how often they glanced at each other when they thought no one was looking.

            After dinner, but before it was time to go, Mr. Granger pulled Draco aside and led him to the study. As Draco went in and looked around, he realized why Hermione liked to stay in the library so much. Every single wall was covered with bookshelves, which were filled with books.

            “So, Hermione told us a lot about you,” Mr. Granger began, breaking the silence.

            “Nothing too bad, I hope. Even though I doubt it. I’m not proud of my actions in the past,” replied Draco.

            “Well, I must admit, your descriptions certainly improved after Hermione went back to school for her eight year,” added Mr. Granger with a twinkle in his eye. “Son, I know about you and your family’s past. But I’m willing to believe that you have changed. I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. And I’m willing to trust you with my daughter.”

            “Thank you, sir,” Draco replied humbly.

            “But don’t give me a reason to reconsider it. I may not be a wizard and capable of doing everything that you can do. But if you hurt my daughter, in any way, you will regret it.”

            “I would never even dream of doing so,” Draco replied truthfully.

            “Now that that’s all cleared up, let’s eat dessert. Jean makes the best strawberry cheesecake imaginable,” Mr. Granger said opening the door.

_______________________________

            After the delicious strawberry cheesecake was consumed and the goodbyes were said, Hermione and Draco picked up Teddy from Shell Cottage and went home. Soon Teddy was asleep and Hermione finally gave in to her curiosity.

            “Why did dad pull you aside?” Hermione asked curiously.

            “Nothing important,” Draco replied.

            “So, what is it?” Hermione asked persistently.

            “He wanted to show me the collection of books in the study,” Draco lied fluently. “It is quite impressive actually.”

            “Thank you. You library at the Manor is much bigger and well stocked,” replied Hermione before asking skeptically, “Is that all he called you aside for?”

            “Obviously,” replied Draco. “It’s getting late. I should probably head home.”

            “Oh, okay,” replied Hermione, still not convinced. “Bye.”

            “Bye,” Draco called out as he closed the door.

            Thus he departed, leaving Hermione to wonder endlessly about the endless possibilities of what Mr. Granger could’ve possibly pulled Draco aside for.

*************************************************

Well, that's the end of chapter 17. I have some very, very important announcements. But they are a tad bit long, so It would be wonderful if you could check out the authors note that is after this chapter. (I'll post it in a few minutes.) It is really important, so please look at it :)