XVIPercy

The underwater fortress was incredible. There was no other word for it. It wasn’t the dark scary place you’d expect a guy like Polybotes to make port. The hallways were lighted with jars of Greek fire, the floor was red carpeted, despite being under water. The stone walls were still foreboding though, mostly because they were huge. Percy thought the place was overall quite cozy.

Kelly noticed his awed expression, “You like it?” she sounded disappointed.

“Can’t wait to see where I’ll be staying.” Percy said sarcastically.

Polybotes, who’d been walking in front of them, stopped, “How’s this Jackson?”

He opened the door on the right and pushed Percy inside. This was much more like Percy expected, dark walls, open, gloomy. There were four rings sticking up in the middle of the floor, Percy wondered what they were for.

Kelly, in her ridiculous air bubble led him to the center of the room where the rings were. The chain in her hands split into two and attached themselves to the rings.

Oh, Percy said to himself, “So what now?” He said aloud, “I’m just going to sit here?”

Kelly and Polybotes laughed like they were cats watching a mouse do a cute trick before they devoured it.

“I’m so glad you asked,” Polybotes crouched so he was at eye level with Percy, “You’re strong Jackson, I want to see how far your strength will go before you’re completely...wasted.” He smacked his lips hungrily.

Percy didn’t want to think about that, but he asked anyway, “H...how will you do that?”

“You remember I once told you my skin turned water to poison?” Percy remembered. Already, sickly green liquid was curling off of Polybotes’ skin. Polybotes continued, “Let’s see how resilient your skin is.”

Before Percy could react, the giant reached out his hand and swiped it along Percy’s arm. For a moment nothing happened, and Percy thought maybe he would get out of it. But then, the nerves in his arm felt like they’d exploded. It was as if he had stupidly decided to stick his entire arm in a pot of boiling water.

Polybotes bit his tongue in anticipation as he stroked Percy’s other arm. Percy had to resist the urge to scream as the acid bit into his skin. He fell to his knees in total agony. He could vaguely hear Polybotes and Kelly cackling with delight somewhere off to his right, but didn’t pay them much attention.

It took a moment, but the pain ebbed away. The water surrounding him was doing it’s job. When the pain was gone and Percy stood, he examined his arms. They were faintly red, but nothing too serious.

“Ha ha!” Polybotes boomed, “Was that fun Jackson? Or do you need another taste?”

Percy tried to back away as Polybotes approached, but the chains held him fast. This time, the giant hand wrapped around his chest and neck. Pain erupted all over Percy’s torso. A sad little whimper escaped him as Percy fell once again to his knees.

As the water began the healing process, Percy heard Polybotes approach.

“Empousa bring the ropes!” he said happily. Kelly grinned and approached with a long, wicked, seven tailed whip. She handed the thing to Polybotes, and it looked tiny in his hands. He rubbed his hands along it, covering it in the poisonous acid, and handed it back to Kelly.

Kelly approached Percy, “Get ready to feel my wrath, Percy.”

She walked slowly behind him, as if anticipating seeing Percy’s pain. The chains around Percy’s wrists began reeling him in closer to the floor, forcing him to bend over his knees, his back exposed.

The empousa hissed with pleasure as she swung the first strike.