XVIIIJason

Jason quickly got over the fact that Annabeth and Walt had snuck off in the middle of the night when he heard what they'd found. In fact, he was amazed.

"You found him?"

Annabeth squared her jaw, "Yeah, we got to get him out of there!"

It was still the middle of the night and they were standing on the deck of the Argo II. Jason had just finished barating them about dissapearing. But he couldn't keep it up for long, he just couldn't stay mad at people.

Jason stroked his jaw. Well of course they had to get Percy out of there. It just wouldn't be that easy. From what Walt said, he and Annabeth had had a close call. If anyone were to sneak out and try to rescue him again...

"We'll get him back home safely." Jason said cautiously, "I just don't know when." He held up his hand as Annabeth started to protest, "I know, I know. But its not safe. Well have to plan this carefully."

To Jason's surprise, Annabeth sighed in agreement, "You're right."

"It'll be difficult to come up with a plan without know all the facts," Jason said eyeing her. He really didn't want them to risk another excersion...maybe they could manage to snag him tomorrow before it was too late.

Annabeth scoffed, not like she was mad or offended, but as if she was trying to distract herself with teasing Jason, "Athena can come with any battle plan."

She made to walk below deck to her cabin, but Jason stopped her, "Is Percy in any immediate danger?" He asked seriously.

She was instantly on the defensive, "What do you mean?"

Jason put a hand on her shoulder, "I was just wondering if we couldn't wait until tomorrow right before the sacrifice-"

"Are you crazy? What if we're too late?" She pulled away from him.

"Just listen," Jason said, urgently, "Since you were already there, they will be on their guard, waiting for intruders. If we wait until tomorrow, we'll have the advantage."

"The giants will be out in the open," Annabeth reasoned, "And we do have the height advantage. Fine, I'll go make a battle plan. Have everyone in the mess hall at dawn."

Jason watched her go. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling. He didn't know what he would do if someone captured Piper and tortured her. He'd probably want to smash some giant heads together, like Annabeth.

Jason wondered how Percy was doing too, he himself had been tempted to go investigating, but he'd assumed Percy was under water. The thought of his friend sitting in a cold, dark, cell, all alone, wracked with pain made Jason retch. If only Jason could do something...if he could contact Percy...

Then it clicked, an Iris Message. Jason had never sent one before, but he knew he had to toss a drachma into a rainbow. Where would Jason find a rainbow?

Jason remembered Coach Hedge kept a stack of prisms on his bedstand. Jason ran down the stairs to Hedge's old room. Quietly, trying not to disturb Carter and Walt who were sleeping in the satyr's cabin, Jason opened the door. He spotted a few scattered prisms on the floor, and carefully picked one up. Then he found a flashlight from the engine room.

Back on deck, Jason shined the light on the prism and tossed in a drachma. The drachma dissapeared, but Jason didn't know what to say next.

"Uh..." He muttered, "Iris, please help me contact my friend, Percy Jackson...and uh..."

But the rainbow flickered, and Jason looked into it and saw a dark cell with a low bench and an old orange T-shirt in the corner. Before he could take in more, a croaky voice echoed through the gloom.

"Jason?"

Jason grinned when his eyes found Percy, but his smile quickly fade as he took in Percy's blistered skin, shallow, hungry completion, and black eye.

"What happened to you? Annabeth didn't say anything about a black eye, or the burns..."

It took Percy a moment to answer, "I...well, Polybotes wasn't very happy Annabeth showed up."

"So he took it out on you."

"Pretty much."

There was so much resignation in his voice, that Jason felt like he had to say something encouraging, "We're gonna rescue you, you know. We're getting you out of here."

Percy looked up at Jason, "When?" It wasnt a hopeful question.

Jason screwed up his eyebrows with concern, "Annabeth wanted to do it right away, but I think were planning on raging war tomorrow in-"

"Good, don't do it tonight. Tonignt would be very bad."

He sounded so scared, Jason started to get chills, "Um...why not?"

Percy just shook his head.

Okay, Jason thought, something's really got him freaked. Cautiously he asked, "It didn't happen to do with Annabeth did it?"

The pain in Percy's eyes was incredible, "Not only her. If any of you had been caught - and you would be caught - the giants would have killed us all, and Gaea would have risen."

Jason didn't argue. He'd been having similar thoughts himself.

Percy broke the silence, "Jason, tommorow, they're going to try to lure Annabeth down. No matter what they do... You can't let her off the ship."

Jason pondered that. He noticed how Percy broke off and didn't say 'what they do to me'. He figured Annabeth would probably jump off the boat to save her boyfriend's life.

"Annabeths pretty smart," he said, "I don't think she'd do anything like that without analyzing the consequences. But," he paused, intent on making his point clear. He heard noise coming from below deck, he'd have to make this fast.

"But, on my life, she will not be harmed under my watch."

Percy's eyes widened, "Jason, I didn't mean-"

But Jason swiped his hand through the rainbow just as Carter peeked out on deck.

"Everyone's meeting in the dining cabin in half an hour."

"Right, I'll be there." Dawn was in thirty minutes. Doomsday was upon them.