XXXII-Frank

There are so many monsters, Frank thought. He was drained beyond belief, his transformations were becoming sluggish and less controlled. But he was still up to his chest in monsters. His arrows were dwindling, and he wasn't sure how many tricks he had left up his sleeve. 

Suddenly, beneath him the ground rumbled, his mind instantly turned to Hazel. She was down there! Where Gaea reigned supreme! How stupid were they? Frank looked wildly around as he kicked another demon leaped at him. 

There was a hill a little ways off to his right which drew Frank's attention. A woman's face formed on the hill. Frank gave a frightened yelp. He was used to seeing Dirt Face like this, but this time, her eyes were open! 

She seemed to laugh at him, So much demigod blood. Frank Zhang, I am awake, and you shall be the first to die. 

Leaves blew around the hillside, and when they stopped, a woman wearing a green dress was standing there. The monsters around him stopped fighting, they scrambled out of the way of a huge mound of rock speading its way toward Frank.

At the last secone, Frank leaped out of the way. Why would Gaea kill him first? There were other demigods much more powerful than Frank who had a much better chance at being a nuisence than Frank did. What did Frank have that Gaea was so afraid of? Then it clicked, and fear plowed through him. 

His stick.

Another block of earth tried to knock him off his feet. Frank leaped into the air and turned into an eagle. He flew straight toward Gaea, knowing what he had to do. 

"Frank!" He heard someone calling his name below. It was Percy's voice.

Fank looked down. With his eagle eyesight, he could see Percy's face. Percy knew what Frank was going to do. He wanted to turn back and say goodbye, but Gaea was already sending a clump of Earth Percy's way.

Watch out! He tried to say, but it came out as a squak!

The wall of stone made contact with a sickening crunch. Frank turned to look at Gaea, she was smiling up at him, taunting him.

Alright, that's it! Frank dived straight for her face. To give himself a moment, he clawed at her eyes.

She screached in annoyance, but Frank didn't have much time. He landed on the hill behind her, changed back to human, and opened the drawstring pouch Leo had given him. Inside was his lifeline, his piece of firewood that tied him to the world. 

But what of Hazel, Fai? Gaea said. 

Anger surged through him, "What did you do to her?"

She looked at him with mocking sadness in her eyes, I? I did nothing. It is what you are doing to her. What happens to her if you die? How do you know that the fire will even work?

Frank hesitated, Hazel. He thought of how she would cry. This would break her, but there wasn't another way. But Gaea had a point, how did he know this would work.

"Frank, no!" Percy had gotten to his feet, and had followed Frank to the hill, "Don't!"

And that's how Frank knew. On their quest to Alaska, Mars had told Frank Percy would try to stop someone from making a necessary sacrifice, and Frank would have to hold him back. This was the moment. It was ironic that Percy had just confirmed what he was trying to prevent.

"I'm really sorry about this Percy," before Percy could move, Frank drew his bow, and shot his last arrow at his friend. The arrow pierced Percy's shirt and pinned him to a tree.

Frank pulled out the firewood and looked Gaea directly in the eye, "Welcome back and everything, but now it's time to die."

Before he lost his nerve, Frank charged. Gaea opened her mouth, probably to tell him to stop, but Frank shoved the firwood in her mouth. She gagged, and Frank thought about fire, willing the wood to burn. Percy was yelling, he'd pulled the arrow out of his shirt, and he charged Gaea, swinging his sword. Water came out of nowhere, but Frank knew there was no extinguishing the fire.

The fire of life...A wave of nausea hit him in the stomach, and Frank's legs couldn't support his weight. He groaned, falling to the ground.

His head was spinning, his mouth tasted of aluminum, his whole body was shaking, and Frank knew he was dying.

Suddenly, Percy was at his hide, shaking his shoulder, "Frank! Ah, come on!"

Frank's consiousness was slipping, but he managed a few words, "Percy...tell Hazel...I'm sorry...I..."

"No!" Percy shouted, "No, come on, stay with me."

Frank coughed, "You're...good friend...Perce...I'm sorry..."

Frank couldn't think straight, he couldn't form words. In the background he heard Percy yelling his name, the corners of his vision began going black, and pain shot through his head.

"Ha-zel..." He mumbled. And Frank Zhang spoke no more. 

N/A Dedication goes to CherylBeasley. Thanks for the comment, that made my day!