(24)

Lauren sat in the corner under the window with the phone to her ear, just listening to the voices of many different people as they surveyed what must have been Sebastian’s car.

She heard over and over again how they have found nobody in the car or around it, and Lauren could only imagine where Sebastian was right then.

It was only when she heard shouting from above did she break out of the bubble she was in where it was only her and the phone that she could think about.

Her mind started racing with different thoughts and she glanced over at her old work buddy, wondering if they somehow knew he was dead. 

It hadn't kicked in yet that she had killed somebody. No remorse, nothing. Not even sadness, she just felt a small sense of satisfaction that he got what he deserved. It was either be killed or kill, and Lauren doesn't want to die any time soon. She didn't want to feel satisfied she had killed, but Kyle was a vile man who didn't deserve the life he had, she did good.

The shouting upstairs got more frantic and Lauren jumped, a startled gasp leaving her mouth when she heard numerous gun shots echo down to the basement. 

The phone fell out of her hands, the call now being ended, and she rushed over to Kyle’s body frantically to look for the screw driver. She needed something to defend herself with, it was like something in her had clicked and she would fight back, she wasn't going to be the scared little girl in the corner. But, she knew she wouldn't go too far, risking her child’s life was a totally different ball game. 

Yes, it may seem stupid, but she was risking her child’s life by doing nothing but sit in the corner like a scared girl, fighting back gave her a little more chance, and those lessons Liam gave her when she was younger won't be going to waste.

Picking up the screw driver, she grimaced a little when she the blood was slightly sticky to the touch, and when she wrapped her hands around the handle she gagged. The feel was not pleasant as her hands became slick with the congealed liquid.

She knew if she was to come face to face with Jericho that she would have to pray for a miracle, if Sebastian could hardly beat him then what luck did she have? Lauren searched around the room for more useful tools or weapons that could help, but all she found was a hammer and Kyle’s knife. 

After she quickly relieved her bladder in the corner of the room- she would rather not wet herself in front of everyone upstairs- she stood up straight, placed the hammer into the waistband of her jeans along with the screwdriver, took a deep breath and walked towards the door with the knife in hand.

Only, all the courage drained from her when she twisted the handle and the door remained closed.

Sinking to the floor, leaning her back against the wall beside the door and bringing her knees up as far as they would go, Lauren sobbed. 

With the door locked, it was finally sinking in that this was real and she was not getting out unless someone came and let her out, and that meant she was going to have to face someone. Before when she was going to go out and escape, she didn't actually plan on coming across anyone, something she should have thought about.

It was only then, as she sat against the wall trying to calm her erratic breathing and heavy sobs, that she heard nothing from above. Lauren didn't know whether to take that as a good or bad thing, as for one that meant if there was no one above then she would not be escaping any time soon. She already thought about getting through the window but with her bump it was obvious she was not going to fit.

After about five minutes, what sounded like trucks pulling up in front of the warehouse made Laurens hairs on the back of her neck stand up. If Jericho was bringing more men in then this surely would not end up good.