(27)

Lauren gazed down at the small form in the unit before her. The day old baby was tiny and made Lauren's heart ache as she smiled a small, tearful smile at the baby girl that laid still in the NICU, her chest faintly rising then falling, and covered in tubes.

After being pumped full of Steroids and antibiotics to keep the baby in the womb longer and also help its lungs developed faster for two weeks, the baby finally arrived yesterday and Lauren was still store from the delivery. Liam had sat next to her as she whimpered from the pain that came before labour, and only when they finally said it was time for Lauren to start pushing did Liam pass out. 

She smiled widely when she remembered the way Liam’s eyes rolled to the back of his head and he slumped backwards, lucky for him a nurse was there to catch his fall, not lucky for her though considering Liam weighed a ton.

Lauren had to go through birth alone, considering Liam was in another room still passed out and she had no family other than Liam. And Sebastian... Her eyes watered at the thought of him and she placed a hand on her little girl’s incubator trying to seek comfort. He ha-

''Hey Lauren, look who's here.'' Lauren heard from behind her and she quickly wiped her eyes before turning around. Her mouth opened in surprise, and her eyes were wide as they assessed the man before her.

''Travis!'' She smiled widely at the frail old man and lunged forward to grab him in a hug, making sure not to hold too tight for she was scared she'd break his back he was so weak. The tears started again as she felt the warming comfort of Travis' hug, just like a fathers hug, and she sniffed when she realised something. ''Why do you have that? And why are you in hospital clothes?'' 

Lauren had just noticed the stand next to him with an IV bag hanging from it and the tubes going into Travis' arm, plus the oxygen tubes going into his nose and the tank on the stand also. What was wrong with Travis?

''I'm just here for a few days, for my cold.'' Travis croaked and smiled weakly at Lauren, trying to convince her that it wasn't something major like it really was. She had enough on her plate, with Sebastian and her baby in NICU. That was enough for a new, young mother as it was. 

''Don't lie to me old man.'' Lauren scowled at him, sensing his lie immediately. Travis sighed when he realised he couldn't fool Lauren, and he scuffled forward until he was in front of the incubator.

''She's perfect.'' He managed to get out as he gazed down at the little girl. His eyes immediately flooded with tears and he turned around to Lauren, bringing one, shaky hand up towards her cheek and patting it slightly. ''I'm so proud of you.''

Laurens tears fell even faster and she felt her chest swell with affection, the old man before her- She couldn't think of anything to describe him because it didn't do him justice, he was the most amazing old man Lauren had ever met. He took her in under his wing when things got tough for her, he cared for her, he was the father she never had and she loved him for it.

''Thanks dad.'' She whispered as she wrapped her arms around him. This was the first time she had called him dad and she regretted not calling him it sooner, he deserved it. ''Now, are you going to tell me the real reason you're here?'' 

Travis laughed when Lauren wouldn't give up and walked over to the chair next to the incubator, staring into the small case surrounding the tiny baby.

''I'll tell you soon, Ok?'' Travis replied, smiling at Lauren and cutting her off as he realised she was about to protest. ''I don't even know for sure yet, I'll tell you when I get the results.''

Lauren reluctantly nodded and the serious moment was forgotten. Both gazed into the incubator and spoke of light topics like they used to do, small smiles playing on both of their faces.