Part 1: THE MONSTER

PROLOGUE

Lauren

The party was… elegant. There were plenty of food, drinks and the people looked sophisticated and wealthy as if this wasn’t the poorest division in the whole of Aurum. I put on an appalled look on face as I sipped my champagne. Looking to my left and to my right, I could identify a few people. There was Mr. Carter, the owner of numerous factories which are our main source of income, laughing and mingling with a couple of people that I don’t know. They’re probably businessmen from more alleviated divisions. I could see Gemma, the kitchen wrench who once worked at the bakery near our house, carrying the poodle of Mrs. Curtis, who was dressed in a sapphire blue gown that flaunted her curves. I decided to drink the very last remains of my champagne and carry on with what I was supposed to do for the night: KILL MR. SANDERS.

This will be a very easy job and he is a very easy target. All I have to do is install the bomb under his car and watch him explode into pieces. All that this mission required is the skill and the perfect timing.

I handed the empty glass of champagne to the waiter who passed by. I held my head up and made my way through the crowd. I noticed that heads turned as I walked by. Of course, I had dressed up for this occasion. I donned a red asymmetric gown with a slit that showed my right leg. I had to look good and unsuspicious. I noticed that some of those snotty and rich boys winked at me. I returned their winks with a playful stare.

I adjusted my hearing device. As I did so, I heard Zachary’s voice on the other line. “ You ready?” Zac was like my brother and my long-time partner in missions like these.

“You bet.” I replied. I walked out to the exit and took a deep breath.

IT’S SHOW TIME.