Chapter 23

TWENTY THREE

Jonathan

They unclasped my handcuffs and I felt a wave of relief rush through me. I shook my hands freely, examining the wounds left by my struggle with the cuffs. They were still stinging but I ignored them. My body hurt due to several bruises but my right arm screamed pain all over. I was escorted by two watchmen outside the detention area.

I stepped out as the glass doors automatically opened up for me. I took in the fresh air and the warm sunlight. I descended the steps of the detention area just as a black limousine stopped in front of me. I immediately recognized it.

The door opened automatically and a familiar man with dark chestnut hair motioned me to get inside. Welcome back to hell, Jonathan Kress.

-------------------------------------

The air was completely knocked out of me. I staggered on the cold floor as I took in another blow from my father.

"Go to hell." I scowled, blood trickling from the corner of my mouth. My father hit me again, and I spat blood on the carpet.

"You have always brought shame and disgrace to the family!"

"I am not the disgrace in this family." I answered back, coughing blood. "YOU ARE." He kicked me hard in the stomach and I doubled over. I rolled onto my side, my arms finding the spot where he had kicked me. I stared dagger eyes at Jonas Kress, the man whom I call father, the man who ruined my life, the man who has turned into a monster.

He took me by the collar of my shirt and hurled me upwards, slamming me against a wall. A photo frame containing a picture of our family, shook and fell to the ground, its glass shattering. "You cannot speak to me in that way, Jonathan."

"And you can't control me forever," I paused. "Dad." I said, pouring rage and disgust on that one word. He punched me again and I felt my eye swell shut. He let me down and I crumbled on the carpeted floor.

"You will do as the president says, Jonathan. You will follow your path as a citizen of Aurum. You will bring honor to this family and you will be my heir."

"In your dreams..." I murmured.

"What is it that you said?" He asked me, his brow creased and his hands ready to punch me again.

"I said, I won't do it."

His fist landed on my jaw and I spat more blood. He raised his fist again and prepared for another punch but a tender voice stopped him from doing so.

"Dad, please." It was Julienne. She has been watching us ever since we got here from the detention area.

"GO AHEAD! HIT ME! HIT ME AGAIN! GO AHEAD AND KILL YOUR OWN SON!" I threatened him, raising my voice, shouting out loud that I could feel the veins near my throat and temple protruding against my flesh. Jonas lowered down his fist and heaved an exasperated sigh. "WHAT? I TOLD YOU TO KILL ME. KILL YOUR OWN SON LIKE THE THOUSAND PEOPLE YOU KILLED FOR THE CONTROL."