Chapter 37

THIRTHY SEVEN

Lauren

I spun around in front of the seven foot tall mirrors, examining my gown. It was an asymmetric, loose, black chiton styled like those of the Ancient Greeks that trod the Earth millenniums ago. One of my dressmakers, Johanne, told me that the Ancient Greeks had one of the most interesting and most famous civilizations in the Old World. Their civilization has greatly influences the world in different aspects-politics, philosophy, science and the arts. They were the first to form theories, invent objects, and establish a civilized government through a democracy.

"Do you like it?" Lucille, my other dressmaker asked, hands on her hips, a measuring tape hanging on her shoulders.

"Yes. Thank you." I responded. The truth is, I adored it. I felt as if I belonged to another world. I felt as if time was pulling me back and sucking me in the void leading to the ancient world. I felt the sands of time guide me and help me explore all there is to know, all there is to discover.

"You don't sound too happy, Lauren." Johanne mentioned.

Another truth is that I still wasn't used to this. I wasn't used to being so grand and fancy and grabbing the attention of the people and the government. I wasn't used to being greeted every day wherever I went. I wasn't used to having all eyes glued to me as well.

"I'm happy, Johanne." I said, pressuring a smile across my face. She grinned back. I spun again, admiring the whirling linen. "It's beautiful." I gazed at myself in the mirror and frowned. The gown was spectacular but it didn't suit me. I looked like a hell of a mess. My hands were no longer bandaged but I had couple of bruises on my limbs and bi on my face. My hair was tangled and frizzy and had no permanent direction. I have aged too and its because of all the battles I saw, encountered and fought. My face was so plain and simple but I like it just the way it is. It was surely better than those faces in richer divisions that undergone plastic surgery and several lifts and botoxes. I wanted it to be natural as possible, only it wasn't accepted here in Division 1. They yearned for glamor. No woman here would be caught dead without makeup. Even young children had to know the concept of being classy and dressing elegantly and fashionably in branded items and expensive clothes. Everybody and everything had to be prim, proper and filthy rich.

I groaned at the simple thought of it.

"What's wrong?" Johanne asked, an eyebrow raised.

"I love the gown, Johanne but I don't think having a parade is a good idea." I slumped down on one of the velvet couches, kicking off my black five inch heels. "Or a party."

"What do you mean, Lauren?" Lucille pried on further. "Don't you want to be broadcasted and branded as Aurum's new savior?"

"Honestly, I don't like the attention." I frankly admitted. "And besides, the money for both the parade and party and all these preparations could go to a much better, much more beneficial cause."

We all stared at each other in silence.

"You know what, Lauren." Johanne said, an enlightened glow in her turquoise eyes. "I think you're right."

-------------------------------------

I made my way towards the golden chariot and the sea of journalists, news anchors, photographers and cameramen. I looked closer at the two figures that were pulling it. They were black stallions, gloriously standing yet bound to a heavy burden with reigns.

"Hurry along, Lauren." President Knoxx said, motioning me with his fingers.

It was a stallion. All the while I thought there were no more horses left. I thought they were extinct, vanished from the face of the Earth. I marveled at its sight asthe it whinnied when we approached it. I watched its mane and its tail shake from left to right like a little child. It was my first time to see an actual horse and not just the ones they were showing and teaching us back in school, back when I thought they weren’t alive anymore.