Chapter 29

TWENTY NINE

Jonathan

The interview was over and I could see the President Knoxx wasn't impressed at all. Everything went well, like they had planned, except when I decided to diverge and talk about Lauren.

I hadn't mentioned her name when Sylvia asked me if there was somebody I dreamed or imagined being paired to. But, President Knoxx, Lilith and my family knew it was her.

"Son." my father, Jonas Kress, greeted me with a pat in the back. He was part of the audience a while ago and I saw that he didn't approve of the statement I gave about Lauren. I was probably up for another beating but I didn't mind.

"You look awful on TV." Julienne groaned.

I chuckled. "If it isn't my favorite sister..."

"You only have one sister, stupidass." She crossed her arms and stuck out her tongue.

"So, why don't we all have dinner at the Cockaigne and discuss money matters for the wedding?" President Knoxx offered, taking Lilith by the arm. They didn't look like each other. Lilith had strawberry blonde hair and warm, brown eyes while President Knoxx had dark hair and gray eyes. President Knoxx looked in control, he seemed to be so capable of power while Lilith looked dainty and gentle, as if the power her father had held wouldn't fit her. Maybe Lilith resembled more of her mother.

"Why not?" my father replied in the cheerful, Control officer tone that he had.

Our families got into their respective cars. Lilith and President Knoxx getting in their limousine. I watched Lilith wave me a sly goodbye before she fully hopped inside, her strawberry blonde head disappearing. Our Mercedes came strolling next and I opened the door for Julienne. It’s funny how I didn’t do the same for my fiancé. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a gentleman. It’s just that I didn’t feel like doing it to her.

Julienne rolled her eyes at me and stepped in. “You’re welcome!” I yelled out to her, slamming the door. I walked to the other side of the car and got in. Gaspar, our chauffeur started driving.

“When will you ever forget that Lauren Steel of yours?” my father started to ask.

“Um..” I wasn’t startled that he brought up the topic again. I tried to escape last night and of course, it was still a big issue to our family and to the Knoxxes. “Never?”

“You’re wasting the future The Control has set up for you, Jonathan.” Jonas lectured, his voice calm and strict. “I hope you use your head.”

“I am.” I quickly retorted. “Because if you let The Control decide for you then you aren’t using it at all. They’re the ones deciding, not you so you don’t use your brain.”

My father didn’t respond to that. He knew it was another sardonic comeback. I laughed to myself. I did it again.

“My father cleared his throat. “I expect you to behave yourself in the Cockaigne, Jonathan.”

I couldn’t do anything except nod.

-------------------------------------

My family agreed to shoulder the catering, the decorations and the invitations. President Knoxx insisted on other matters such as Lilith’s billion-dollar gown, the floral arrangements, the documentation, and of course, the budget for our honeymoon. Our wedding was going to be aired, live on TV, broadcasted to the public. It was going to happen at ten o’ clock in the morning and the reception will be at the Cockaigne. Everybody was invited; however, they had limited access. Watchmen would secure a border between exclusive guests of the wedding and the masses who want to take part of it. It would surely be one big media circus. The most eligible bachelor of Aurum and the gorgeous daughter of the president. It was a match made in heaven.