Chapter 12

TWELVE

Jonathan

I opened my eyes to a blinding fluorescent light hanging directly above me. Its glow was menacing that I had to shut my eyes so that it wouldn't hurt. I propped myself up using an elbow and saw that everything else was white-the walls, the linoleum floor, the door, the ceiling, the bed where they'd put me in, and even the lone piece of chair in one corner of the room. I was alone, only wearing cotton shorts and a plain white shirt, barefoot and eyelids still heavy. I paced around the room, trying to find a way to get out. I knew where I was. I was locked up in a detention room. This is where they isolate people who are about to be questioned by the president or people who will soon be put to trial. There was no way of getting out. heard a click and the door opened. A familiar dark-haired boy stepped in the room. Daniel.

"Where's Lauren?" was the first thing I was able to say.

"The one who kidnapped you?" Daniel asked, sitting on the lone white chair.

"You know she didn't. You knew I ran away." I thought of Lauren being in the hands of The Control. A mental image of her delicate frame being tortured by watchmen came into my mind. "Tell me where she is." I demanded, sharp and full of control.

"She wasn't found during the rescue mission." Daniel answered, running a hand through his hair. He licked his lips. "They're still looking around. They want her dead or alive."

I sat on the edge of the bed and released a sigh of exasperation. "She didn't kidnap me, Daniel. In fact, she... She...she saved me."

"What the?" Daniel exclaimed, looking away. "You run away from home, head to a dangerous division, almost get your head chopped off by a rebel group, and yet you find time to actually fall in love with one of them."

"She wasn't part of The Alliance. She used to be part of an agency that's working with The Alliance now. She used to be part of it till they betrayed her. They tried killing her along with me. They tried to protect me but it turned out they wanted me dead. But it was her who saved me. God, Daniel, you don't know what happened..." I explained, realizing I was pouring out to Daniel secrets that should've never been told, secrets that could put both Lauren and my life in danger, secrets that could be the answer to The Control's questions, secrets that could get us killed or punished but at the same time they were secrets that could be our only way to escape execution, secrets that could set me free, secrets that could save us. I realized that once I told Daniel everything, there was no turning back. He was already part of it.

Why was I even doing this? Lauren has already given me up. Maybe it was time for me to let her go as well. Maybe it was time to forget her and go on with my life-marry Lilith, be the heir to my father's position, head to the college The Control has assigned for me, fulfill all their plans. Maybe I should leave her alone. This is what she wanted isn't it? To fend for herself on her own.

"Jonathan," he began, standing up from his chair and putting both his hands on my shoulders. "Everything that happened to you..." he paused, gazing more intently at me. "It was all a blur."

"What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled by what he was uttering.

"You were taken in by The Alliance, Jonathan. They put you in their headquarters and tried killing you. Lauren Steel was part of the plan. She kidnapped you. She threatened to even kill you, didn't she?" Daniel cocked his head, raising an eyebrow. "Your first meeting? She tried burying a knife down your throat."

"But she didn't." I firmly said.

"She didn't. But have you seen her plant that device in your bunker?"