Chapter 5

FIVE

Jonathan

It was a good thing The Hawk provided us with a vehicle that we could use to get to the Safe house. Lauren has been telling me everything about her mission ever since we got in the car. She told me to stay alert, in case she might need my help.

I thought about Mrs. Steel and the conversation that we had just a few hours ago. She told me that she knew that her daughter was keeping something from her. She was really worried about Lauren’s safety and she didn’t know what to do about it. I felt a sudden pang of guilt in my chest. This was my entire fault. If I hadn’t run away, Lauren wouldn’t be protecting me. She’d be home with her mother and she’d have nothing to worry about.

I began thinking about the consequences of my action. People at home could be worried about me, for all I know. But I quickly pushed that thought away. Dad was nothing like Mrs. Steel. He’s part of The Control. He has work to do. He can’t just stay put and wait for his son to come home again. He can’t just spend all his time looking for a runaway boy that he doesn’t even consider a son.

I jumped to the edge of my seat when I heard Lauren’s voice. I realized that I had been looking out the window for some time already.

“Rule number one.” She spoke. “You are to follow what I say no matter what happens. Understood?” she added, raising an eyebrow. She was a different Lauren again. Awhile ago, she seemed so cheerful and fond but now, she was back to her tough and uncompromising warrior façade.

“Rule number two,” she began. “You cannot interfere with my decisions or ask any unnecessary questions.”

“Rule number three,” she continued. “I call the shots here, understand?”

I nodded, not knowing what to say. I was indeed afraid of her now. It was as if disobeying her rules meant execution. I was afraid that if I refused to follow her orders, she would start ripping my throat out.

“Any objections?” she asked, one eyebrow raised.

I shook my head. “Good.” She said. And after that, we sat in silence.

After awhile, she spoke up again. “The car will just drop us off to the entrance to the woods. After that, we’re on our own.”

“Oh.” Was all I could say in reply.

“It’ll take us about a day to get to the Safe house.” She informed me. “We may have to spend the night outdoors.”

I didn’t reply any further. I was conscious that if I’d ask questions, I’d break some of the rules Lauren has already set for us during this mission. Another wave of silence swept past us. I wanted to talk to her, say something to her but my mind couldn’t find the right words to say. I wanted to apologize for her for getting stuck in this muddle and that protecting me shouldn’t be her obligation. I wanted to tell her that she should go home and take care of her mother. I tried opening my mouth and forming words but I couldn’t. Instead, I just watched Lauren look out the window as dusk descended. She had the same distracted look like she was thinking about a thousand things all at once. I didn’t know it would come to this. I didn’t know that in this scheme of running away, I would meet a girl. Not just an ordinary, typical girl but a girl with fierce determination and an unconquerable spirit. She was different from all those snotty girls in Division 1 and that, I think, was the best thing that’s ever happened to my escape.

“What are you looking at?” Lauren asked. I didn’t realize that I had been watching her talk and had been studying her every move.

“We’re here.” Our chauffeur announced, saving me from creating a lame excuse.