Chapter 36

THIRTHY SIX

Lauren

I stand on the balcony of my mansion, watching the sun set before me. The sky burst into different shades of oranges, yellows, pinks, and blues. The sun, a blazing golden disc was lowering itself down to Aurum's open and endless ocean, touching the horizon and meeting the calm waters and rolling waves. I have never been near the ocean before and I've never seen it either. I was glad this is where the president placed me. But there was no time to marvel at Aurum's wonders now.

"Ms. Steel?" A female voice called out. It was my steward, Emilie.

"Yes, Emilie?"

"It's time to get ready for dinner."

I was still not used to having robotic stewards or invisible secretaries or even secretaries at all to give me my schedule. I have only been here, recovering for two days and I felt every inch of infelicity. To cut it short, I wasn't used to living this kind of life in Aurum-the big, comfy bed, the beautifully decorated room, the scrumptious food available any minute of the day, the elegant dresses and expensive clothes, the fancy cars, and most of all, the fame and the special treatment.

In Aurum, I was no longer ordinary.

I am special.

I am honored.

I am respected.

I am their hero.

"Tomorrow will be your hero's parade, Lauren." President Knoxx declared as he stuffed a crisp, green, lettuce in his mouth. He was seated on the head of the table with me on his right side. Across me was his daughter, Lilith, the wife of Jonathan. Beside her was the boy I love, looking at me as I ate, making me conscious. I shook the feeling of easily but it comes back every once in a while. If only I could take his beautiful, gleaming eyes out of its sockets. Across him and next to me was Julienne, his beloved sister. She kept glaring at me menacingly, scanning me skeptically from head to toe. At a young age, she seemed to think very critically. Jonathan's father couldn't join our private dinner. He had some business with The Control about rebuilding the city.

I was enjoying my pasta, one of the most decent meals I've ever eaten in my entire life. I devoured it as if my stomach hasn't been filled for a whole year but stopped when the president told me about the parade. I set my fork down and wiped my lips with the napkin on my lap.

"Parade?" I stammered.

"Yes." President Knoxx confirmed. "Our best dressmakers will come for your measurements after dinner.

"For what, Sir?" I wondered.

"You saved Aurum. You ought to be presented as our hero, as our savior."

"I am no hero." I denied.

"You should be used to it by now. You are our hero." President Knoxx contradicted. "After the parade, a grand party will be held in the Cockaigne."