Chapter 27

TWENTY SEVEN

Jonathan

They hurled me to a metal chair and strapped my arms on its armrests with steel bars. I struggled to get out and cursed loudly. A watchman punched me and left a stinging pain on my left cheek. It was followed by another on my right. My face dangled limply after each blow and my head was spinning. They awoke me from my sleep and yanked me to the Cockaigne, the president’s palace and official residence. Lilith used to live here before she turned eighteen and became a legal citizen of Aurum. My vision blurred but I was able to make out a watchman that raised his fist and was about to hit me.

“Stop." The voice was razor sharp, enough to pierce your skin and cut it to shreds.

It was President Knoxx. He walked towards me, crouched down so that he was level with me. His eyes of smoke and ash sucked me in, weakening my knees.

"What do you want, Knoxx?" I said in a sharp and rude tone. "What did I do this time?"

"My daughter told me you didn't want the wedding." He answered. "Is that true, Mr. Kress?" He addressed me formally.

"Of course!" I admitted. "I mean, I didn't even decide on it in the first place."

I was expecting another blow from Knoxx but he stayed stiff. I wanted to threaten him to hit me or end my life but he simply stood there, looking at me with his storm cloud eyes. I wanted to taunt him and tell him that I detest his daughter but there was something about him that made me stop and I knew why. Despite his unbelievable monstrosity, President Knoxx had a heart, but that was only for his daughter, Lilith. He loved her and wanted only the best for her. For a moment, I felt touched by his sentiment. Outside, President Knoxx was a sadistic madman but deep inside, when he’s with Lilith, when he sees Lilith, you see the unconditional love of a father.

“I’m sorry, Sir,” I started in the same formality. “But I am not the right man for your daughter.”

He grabbed a handful of my shirt and pulled me towards him. I could feel his ragged breathing, angry and enraged.

“I don’t love her.”

“I DON’T GIVE A DAMN!” he yelled in front of me. He pushed me back, strong enough to make me and the chair hit the ground. The chair’s hard wood pressed against my back and it began to ache. The watchmen surrounding us pulled me up as I cringed in pain.

“YOU WILL DO AS I SAY, JONATHAN. YOU WILL MARRY LILITH AND YOU WILL FOLLOW THE PATH THE CONTROL HAS CHOSEN FOR YOU!” he slammed his fist on the table, causing the objects on it, including his golden plaque to momentarily rumble and rise. Almost everything in his palace was made out of pure Aurum gold. It probably took all the money of the people to construct the whole thing. It was the perfect, standing explanation on why the taxes grew larger with each passing month and why the money company owners would earn must go to The Control. They told us that it will be used for infrastructure, the development of our industries and resources and other programs for health and security but it has been years since we felt that change. The poorer divisions still had no paved roads or bridges that made travel easier. People were dying every day because of unknown illnesses and diseases with no probable treatment. Epidemics spread occasionally. The crime rate was high, especially in the lower divisions. Theft and murder was still common among us. People died every day in broad daylight back in Division 38. The poor still struggled for survival and resources were never enough to satisfy our needs.

“YOU WILL DO AS I SAY, JONATHAN KRESS.”

“No.” I firmly uttered. I knew I’d get in trouble again but I didn’t care. I didn’t want to marry someone that I didn’t love, much less spend a lifetime with somebody that I detested, somebody that I couldn’t stand. There was only one person that I would always choose and she was out there, in danger, under threat and I needed her.