Chapter 13

THIRTEEN

Daniel

"I don't need other men, Sir."

"Are you sure, Daniel?" President Knoxx asked me.

"Yes, Sir." I confirmed, nodding my head, standing erectly, hands behind my back. I need to prove myself to them. I need that position in The Control. "It's one against one, Sir. I'm capable of capturing her."

"She took down nine men singlehandedly."

"You've seen me do the same." I boasted, reminding the president of the previous days of my training for this assault. On one day during my training for shooting and combat, the president saw me take down ten of his men with a gun and my bare hands in the Battle Landscape. "Ten, even." I added, giving him accurate details.

"But Lauren Steel is no ordinary fugitive."

"I know." I quickly retorted. "She's a trained assassin and an experienced fighter. But Sir, that's not how I plan to take her in."

"Hmmm..." President Knoxx began, looking at me with interest as he leaned back on his chair. "Tell me about your plan, Mr. Daniel Deveraux."

I grinned. "I need to make her fall in love with me."

President Knoxx raised his eyebrows, clearly surprised at what I was about to do.

"You see, President, in case I won't be able to take her down in physical combat, I would go straight for her heart and once I have her under my snares, she has no chance of escaping."

President Knoxx nodded. "What if she doesn't fall for you?"

"Then, friendship would be another option." I assured him.

"What if she doesn't want to be friends with you?"

"I'll make sure she would."

"What if your plan fails, do you have any other option?"

"I'd get her myself. I'd use violence against a woman if I have to."

The President let out a faint laugh. "You are very courageous, Mr. Deveraux. I assure you that you'll be a great leader someday."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Maybe you could teach Jonathan Kress a thing or two about obedience."

"Ah, Jonathan." I shook my head. "He was never submissive, Sir."

"You two are very different indeed. I'm glad you chose the right side to fight for."

"Thank you, Sir." I acknowledged. "So, what can you say about my solution to this predicament?"

"It's risky, Daniel." President Knoxx admitted.

"I know, Sir." I agreed, flashing another wicked grin. "But it's riskier bringing with me thirty men and having her kill each one of them. She'll spot us quickly and she'll be able to find a way to evade. All the more that we won't catch her."

President Knoxx nodded.

"You'll need everyone you can get to prepare for the incoming attack of The Alliance." I pointed out. "And I assure you, President Knoxx. This is more effective than sending thirty of your best soldiers with me."

"Can I trust that what feelings you show her will remain a mission only?"

I chuckled, running a hand through my hair. "Of course, Sir. My loyalty has always been The Control's."

He smiled and nodded. "Very well, Mr. Deveraux, your mission begins tomorrow."