Chapter 32

THIRTHY TWO

Lauren

I pulled out the gun strapped to my thigh and pointed it at Daniel, clicking it and ready to fire.

“You traitorous bastard!” I muttered. The Hummer skidded to a halt. “WHO SENT YOU?” My hands were shaking and I tried to avoid doing so by focusing on Daniel and the spot where I would kill him, straight to his heart. He’d be dead for sure. He was unresponsive, just like the first time that we had met. This was now the explanation for his mysterious personality, why he had given me that knife and chosen to help me, why he befriended me and learned how to gain my trust, why he would fight with me and support me in any decision. The Control has sent him to spy on me and bring me back to them for execution. Daniel wanted me dead. He may have saved my life a few, countable times but he was still my friend. I just couldn’t believe he’d betray me that easily. This caused my fury in him to well up and increase. I grabbed a fistful of his shirt and thrust him back to the Hummer’s window. “WHO SENT YOU?!” I repeated, enunciating each word with flame.

He looked startled. “Look, Lauren, let me explain.”

I pushed the gun against his chest and I felt my own growing heavy. I CAN’T BELIEVE IT. I WAS BETRAYED ONCE AGAIN. I WAS BETRAYED BY SOMEBODY WHO WARNED ME THAT I COULDN’T TRUST HIM AND YET I DID. Somehow, this was all my bloody fault. I should’ve known better. I shouldn’t have trusted a stranger like Daniel Deveraux.

“I don’t need your fucking explanation!” I yell at him, feeling the heat rise up to my face as I shoved the gun further against his chest. My other hand was clenched into a fist, my nails digging deep into my skin, leaving red crescent marks on my palms.

He has brought me here to Jonathan. He has risked so much for me. He fought side by side with me. I had needed him more than once. But everything was about to come to an end now. I was going to kill him. I was going to kill him for betraying me.

“Look, Lauren, I’m sorry…” he began.

“SHUT UP OR I WILL FIRE THIS GUN INTO YOUR MOUTH!”

“Lauren, at first it was a mission…”

“And it will always be a mission.” I didn’t give him the chance to finish his statement. “Tell The Control that they’ll never have me, understand?”

I was filled with burning rage for him. I wanted to shoot him multiple times and kill him all over again. “Any last words?” I ask him, my fingers giving off a slight pressure on the trigger. One more push and he was dead. I could see his shoulders tense and his muscles stiffen.

“Lauren, please…” he looked at me with those dark eyes of his and I shuddered a bit, but straightened my spine and put the gun into place.

I laugh. “It’s funny.” I shake my head. “It’s funny how The Control sends spies and undercover agents to capture me when I am the expert on that field. Are they forgetting that I am the master of disguise here in Aurum?” I saw a flash of terror in his eyes and it caused me to laugh harder. “My advice: DON’T PLAY WITH THE EXPERTS IF YOU’RE JUST A BEGINNER.”