Chapter 4

FOUR

Lauren

I HATE HIM.

I HATE HIM.

I HATE HIM. I HATE HIM MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS GODDAMN WORLD.

My fists hit the punching bag more rapidly this time as anger and rage completely takes over me. WHY ME? WHY DO I HAVE TO BE STUCK WITH THAT IDIOT? My fists pound the punching bag harder till I see them turn red.

“You don’t have to be so mean, you know?” a voice called out. Speaking of the devil. I rolled my eyes and punched the bag one last time.

“What do you want, Jonathan?” It was the first time that I had uttered his name, but I said it with complete animosity and disgust. “Get out of here before I start beating you up.”

“Take it easy, Lauren.”

My shoulders tensed at the sound of my name. “Don’t call me that.”

“What do you want me to call you, then?” he pathetically asked.

“Steel.” I answered. “We’re not friends. I’m just doing this because the General has asked me to protect you.” I added.

“Why are you even doing it? Why are you working for The Hawk?” he asked, once more.

I sat down on one of the training mats spread across the training room’s floor. I was surprised when Jonathan sat beside me. It was the first time that we’ve been this close without any hostility. “It’s because I need to get out of here.”

“Why would you want to?” he pried on further.

“It’s because… it’s hard to explain.” I grunted. “You won’t understand.”

“Is it because I’m a filthy stinkin’ rich boy from Division 1?”

“Yes.” I answered coldly. “It’s because you’re a filthy stinkin’ spoiled brat from Division 1.”

“I’m not what you think I am.”

Jonathan was about to say something but he was cut by Zac’s friendly and familiar voice. “Lauren,”

I stood up, facing Zac who was entering the training room. “The General wants to have a word with you.” He said, sternly. I glanced over at Jonathan. His shoulders were hunched and his expression was hollow.

His golden hair glinted as the rays of sunlight from the windows shone over it. He was BEAUTIFUL. PATHETIC, ANNOYING BUT DEFINITELY BEAUTIFUL.

I turned back to Zac quickly as I could before he could notice that I was staring at him. “Let’s go.” I signaled. Zac and I began to walk towards the exit.

I twisted the knob of the door but before Zac and I could finally get out of the training room, I heard Jonathan say, “It’s not about Divisions, Steel. It’s not about where you’re from. It’s about where we’re going. It’s about being FREE.”

-------------------------------------

“I’d like you to be more in control of your temper, next time.” The General said.

“I’m sorry, General.” I apologized, although not that sincerely. “It’s just that, that boy is so stupid and ignorant.”

“I’d also like you to choose your words wisely when you handle this mission.”

“Yes, Sir.” I yielded.

“You know what to do now, Steel?”

“Yes, Sir.” I repeated once more.