Chapter 30

THIRTHY

Lauren

When I woke up, I saw Daniel face above mine, cursing and thanking God that I was alright. I was lying on the back of the Hummer, the vehicle still and not moving. Daniel’s face was panicking and sweating. His brows were knitted and his eyes looked pleading. He was still cursing under his breath when my eyelids fluttered open and I got my first glimpse of him. Even doing this very simple act required every ounce of strength that I had in my body. My muscles ached and my back felt as if it snapped into two. I could barely move my legs. They felt as if they were made of stone. My head was still throbbing and my pulse was just starting to return to its normal state. It turned out that I had another one of my episodes right after I saw that interview with Jonathan and I hadn’t had the strength to fight it back.

Jonathan, Jonathan. What day is it? Where are we? I roused up, propping myself with an elbow as Daniel cupped my shoulder with a steady grip.

“Just rest.” He whispered, his voice filled with concern.

“Where are we?” My voice was still heavy and raspy and my tongue felt dry like sandpaper.

“Still in Division 6. I’m sorry, I didn’t know what to do.” He replied, apologizing, his tone still worried.

I wanted to punch him in the face. “What day is it?” I asked him, mindful that Jonathan’s wedding was coming up.

“It’s the first of June.” He replied. Jonathan’s wedding was tomorrow. No. Jonathan’s wedding was tomorrow. We’d never make it. I’ll never make it. He’s gone.

“We have to get moving, Dan!” I grabbed him by his jacket, using both of my balled fists. I pulled him closer and started shaking him. “I have to get to Division 1 tomorrow.” I felt myself choke and water fill the rim of my eyes. My voice is quivering and I’m on the verge of breaking down. No. I will not cry. I will not cry. I cannot cry in front of him.

Daniel stared at me with those dark, enigmatic eyes of his and had a wondering look on his face. I’m sorry I had to pull you in this.

“We can’t go.” He declared. “Lauren, what happened?”

I had no time to explain. I pressed an index finger over his soft lips and I felt him tense, his grip getting tighter. “No questions. Let’s move.”

Daniel pulled me up and he started the Hummer once again. Its engine roared back to life and we hit the road.

“What happened?” Daniel pried on. I wasn’t going to tell him. There were enough people who knew about it. Mom. Dad. Jonathan. Zac. Coeline. Daniel wasn’t going to make it in that list.

“How long would it take us to get to Division 1?” I threw a question back at him. “We need to get there by dawn.”

“Lauren, we won’t make it. We have to get past Divisions 5 and 4. Division 1 is a huge territory. We don’t even know where we’re going and why have you suddenly gone berserk and wanted to go there as soon as possible. It’s already evening and…”

I didn’t give any chance to further explain and tell me it isn’t possible. “I’ll drive if you can’t do it.” I said those words with conviction and rage. I was so angry at him for not believing. I was so angry at him for snapping me back to reality, for making me realize that we won’t arrive in Division 1 in time for Jonathan’s wedding. “Hand me the wheel if you can’t do it.” I repeated, extending a hand, my expression hardening.

“Lauren, why would you want to…”

“It’s because I need to stop something.” I finished for him. Daniel stared at me, his dark eyes wide with shock. I breathed deeply. “Look, I need to stop Jonathan’s wedding.”