Draco Malfoy x Reader: The Letter

07/31/20

Sitting at the lake under one of my favorite trees, I flipped through the pages of my spell book. This tree was the same one that I had back at home.

I didn't have any siblings and my parents were Aurors so I was always at home by myself. I got used to being alone. I would just sit in the tree in my backyard and read.

At the moment, I was studying for an a Defense Against Dark Arts exam that I had tomorrow. Sitting in the lower branches of this tree was by far my favorite place to study.

It was nice to study in the Ravenclaw common room; it was usually pretty quiet in there and I could wrap up in a blanket while studying peacefully. But sometimes my fellow classmates could get very rowdy.

It was the last Quidditch match of the year between Gryffindor and Slytherin, and they were seriously praying that the Gryffindor team would be able to pull this off. I didn't really care because I wasn't into all the Quidditch drama going on between all the houses.

While trying to go over a couple of spells that always seemed to slip my mind, a sound from off in the distance made me turn my head in that direction. It was the sound of an owl that I knew very well. Draco's owl. She landed on one of the branches close to my head and hooted softly.

"Hey," I whispered and ran my finger down her feathers. She was holding a small piece of paper in her yellow colored beak. I gently took the letter from her and she flew off.

Dear (y/n),
If I had to guess you would be studying for the Defense Against Dark Arts exam we have tomorrow. I wanted to tell you that our last Quidditch match in about an hour which I'm sure that you're already aware of. Anyway, I would really like for you to stop studying for about an hour and come watch; I'm sure you've done enough studying for the both of us. It'd be great to see you there.
Love, Draco

I smiled at the letter and tucked it into the pocket of my robe. Draco must've been very busy if he couldn't ask me to attend in person. I decided that I would go to the match.

"Afternoon (y/n)." The voice startled me so much that I dropped my book. I watched it tumble out of my hands and onto the person's head. I looked down to see the familiar flaming red hair.

"I am so sorry Ron." I jumped out of the tree landing beside him. He was rubbing his head and I already knew there was going to be a large knot there in a minute. He just smiled and handed the book over to me but I could still see a little pain in his eyes.

Hermione was just standing there quietly watching the exchange between the two of us. I had always been told that Ron may have had a crush on me, but I just didn't see him that way. I saw him more as a brother; I had my eye on someone else.

Draco was never very fond of them, but I never understood why, I thought they were just fine. I knew Draco would think so too if he just took some time to get to know them. I saw the mean and negative side off him, but I knew that wasn't really him. I knew the warm and friendly side of him.

"Don't worry about it (y/n). You are always studying." He said, "you're worse than Hermione."

"Ron!" Hermione scolded and I couldn't help but giggle at them.

"Guys, if we're going to get good seats, we should head over there now." Ron said grabbing the both of our hands and dragging us along with us. I could see a faint blush on Hermione's cheeks.

***

I sat in the Slytherin common room wearing a sweatshirt and pair of pajama pants. It always upset me that their common room was so chilly even with a couple of fires going on.

"So what'd you think about the match?" Draco asked come from in the dormitories. Her had just taken a shower and I had just gotten in here from my dormitory. None of the other Slytherins bothered me because of Draco and mines relationship. He sat down on the couch and casually tossed an arm over my shoulder.

I felt myself instantly warm up. There was no need for a fire now. I had a huge crush on Draco for the longest time, since about our 1st year when I saw him in our Potions class.

He was one of the very first people to talk to me. I never thought he was as horrible as everyone said he was. He was always there when I needed him.

"Well it was a really close one, but I'm upset that Gryffindor didn't win." I shrugged and scooted a little closer to him. He didn't seem to notice; his gaze was fixed on one of the fires.

"Of course you did," he looked over at me and chuckled. "Were you studying for that exam when you got my letter?"

"Do you really need to ask that question?" I looked up at him scooting even closer until we were basically sharing the same body heat.

"Can you help me study? Just run over the key points really quick?"

"Yeah. Of course." I smiled at him and he quickly went to his room to get some of his studying materials.

Draco and I discussed spells, a few magical creatures, and briefly went over some dark magic. He was a really good listener and took in everything that I was saying to him. It was a lot easier than studying with Ron and Harry. I didn't know how Hermione did it.

"Can I ask you something?" He suddenly asked and turned to face me. I looked at him to see his pale eyes gazing into me.

"Of course?"

"Do you fancy anyone?"

"Yeah. But I don't think he feels the same way."
I whispered softly.

"I'm sure he does. He probably doesn't know you feel."

"So you think I should tell him?"

"Sure, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

"He doesn't want anything to do with me anymore."

"Well if that's the case then he wasn't a good friend to being with."

"Okay, I'm just going to say it then." I took a deep breath before continuing, "I like you."

"Wait really?" His eyes got big. Then he gently lifted my chin upwards, and gave me a soft kiss. "I like you too (y/n)."