Young! James Potter x Reader: It's Only 2 Years

07/04/20

"Hey, are you alright?" I heard one of my closest friends ask as he sat down on the couch beside me. He casually slung his arms around my shoulder. Looking over, I saw my best friend James Potter out of the corner of my eyes watching me with a worried expression. "Are you alright (y/n)? Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. I'm just happy to see you. It's been a long couple of days." I groaned and snuggled up closer to him. I cherished these moments because James was always with Sirius, Remus, and Peter.

We were supposed to best friends, but at times it didn't feel like that. It felt like I was sharing James with the rest of them. Sometimes I just needed five minutes to talk to him. Was that too much to ask?

"Does that mean we're going to the Astronomy Tower?" James asked. "We should. When I was out there for Quidditch practice it was nice outside. A little chilly but the stars are pretty."

"Yeah okay." I nodded, "let me go get a sweater and I'll be right back."  I happily skipped up to the dormitory to grab a (f/c) sweatshirt to put on.

I wondered what the rest of the boys were doing, but at this moment, I really didn't care. I got to have the rest of the night with James. We could be alone and talk just like the old times. We met each other back before school even started.

Our parents worked at the Ministry together so naturally their kids saw each other a lot. James even taught me how to fly on a broom, but I didn't like it as much as he did. I preferred to watch from the stands.

When I came back downstairs, James got up off the couch and we headed out the Gryffindor common room.

And my good mood ended as soon as we stepped foot outside of the portrait hole. We were greeted by the other 3 members of the Marauders and the smile instantly fell off my face. Now I was not going to be able to spend at least 10 minutes alone with James.

I wasn't going to be able to talk to him about how my last couple of days were going. I just needed these 10 minutes and everything would be okay. I wanted talk to my best friend.

"Where are you two going?" Sirius asked stopping us at the entrance.

"We're just going up to the tower." James responded.

"Perfect. I would love to get up there just to feel the air once again. It was nice when we were out there for practice." Sirius rubbed his hands together and I felt like crying, but I didn't want to seem like a baby.

"I'll have to pass." Remus yawned. "I'm about to head to bed right now."

"And I've got to finish up an essay." Peter and Remus both headed into the common room.

"Guess it's just us three." Sirius grinned. It's always just us three.

"Sirius," James reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I think this time it just needs to be (y/n) and I. We haven't talked a while just the two of us and really need this. I hope you understand Sirius."

"Of course I do. You two have a good night. I guess I'll be finishing up some homework with Peter." He flashed a dazzling smile that drove most girls crazy and headed into the common room. I was so thankful that James understood that we needed this.

We snuck into the kitchen to get some hot chocolate before heading up to one of the towers. At first we didn't talk, we just sipped taking small sips trying to warm ourselves up in the chilly air.

I snuggled close to James so we could share our body heat. He pulled me even closer to him.

"So what's been going on with you (y/n). Sorry we haven't been able to talk lately. There's been just so much going on lately." Then he lightly kissed my forehead causing me to feel even warmer. I ranted to him about everything going on in my life at the moment.

All the homework I had and this one Ravenclaw year who was constantly saying rude things to me. He listened and nodded and shook his head at all the right moments. I had finally gotten all of all the anger and annoyance out of me.

"I am so lucky to have you." I smiled and snuggled closer to him if that was even possible. Even though James and I were just friends and we had been for a very long time, I had always wondered if something more would come out of us.

"And I am so lucky to have you too (y/n). Isn't your birthday tomorrow?" He pulled away from me and I hissed from the sudden coldness and he looked into my eyes. "Maybe that can you help you cheer up?" A smile spread across James' face that was very childlike.

There was a type of wonder in his eyes that I didn't see every often. I always loved him when he was like this.

"Yeah, I suppose it is." I shrugged not really thinking about it. I wasn't expecting that much for my birthday anyway. Maybe a couple of cards and something from my parents.

*Next Day*

The next morning, I woke up super happy. I sure hope that James was right and this day was going to be great. As soon as my feet hit the ground there was a collective "Surprise" throughout all of my roommates.

Even James and his clan had managed to sneak into here to wish me a happy birthday.

When one of my close friends, Jillian, brought out a cake and started singing happy birthday to me. I grinned from ear to ear super happy about this. There were even a couple of gifts sitting at the foot of my bed.

"Are you turning 18?" James looked at the cake that she was holding.

"Yeah..." I giggled watching James' face change very different facial expressions in a matter of seconds. "Do you not know how old I am?"

"No, yes, I don't know. I always thought that you were only a year older than me since you were only a year above me."

*8 Years Later*

"Good morning beautiful," The very sleepy James Potter rolled over and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. I giggled and snuggled up closer to him. I placed my head on his chest and listened to his heart beat. It was one of the very few things that could instantly calm me down.

"Morning," I said in a sing songey voice. James wrapped an arm around my waist and began twirling a piece of my hair around his finger.

"Are you excited about the wedding?"

"Of course James." I leaned up and gave him another kiss.

"Moooommmmm," Our 4 year old son Harry came running into our room and jumped onto the bed. I couldn't help but smile at him.

He was a spitting image of his father with his messy almost black hair and adorable smile. There was no doubt in my mind that James looked exactly like this when he was the same age. And Harry was going to grow up to look exactly like his father.

"Good morning baby." I smiled at him.

"Is Uncle Sirius coming to the wedding?" He asked.

"Of course he is." James sat up and ruffled his hair.

"I love when he turns in a dog. Can you teach me how to do that daddy?" Harry pleaded his bright green eyes open wide. That was the exact look that James would give me whenever he wanted something. It was crazy how alike they were.

"Sure buddy. One day when you get older."

"Okay and Uncle Sirius told me that mommy is older than you." He turned his bright green eyes towards me. "Are you really?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm two years older than him." Harry just looked between the both of us before he burst into a fit of giggles. It was like something he couldn't control. Then I started laughing because he sounded so much like James. He even looked like James when he was laughing and it was adorable. But James didn't find any of this humorous.

"He's just excited," I shrugged and giggled because I could tell James was slightly bothered by the fact that I was 2 years older than him. "Well, let's go get married." I grinned at James. Harry was still rolling around on the floor amazed at the fact that I was older than his father.

"Wait." James grabbed my hand and pulled me back on the bed. "I just wanna kiss you one more time before you become my wife."