Young! James Potter x Reader: All I Want for Christmas is You

08/02/20

It was nice to finally have some real friends. The first couple of years at Hogwarts, I was constantly surrounded by people, but none of them were my real friends.

It took me much longer than I care to admit to realize that everybody isn't your friend. Just because you hang around someone and laugh with them doesn't make them your friend. People will pretend to be your friend to get whatever they can out of you.

My dad was a Beater on a professional Quidditch team which made people think that if they acted like my friend they'd be able to meet my dad, get some private lessons out of him, or maybe even get tickets to a couple of matches.

When I first got to school, I enjoyed all the attention. But then I realized none of these people truly wanted to know me. They just wanted to use me.

After some time I met the Mauraders during my 3rd year. I took a chance on sitting with them on the train, and it was the best decision of my life. Now 3 years later, we had become the best of friends.

The Gryffindor common room was always cozy during the winter holidays. I was sitting on one of the cushions snuggled up with a good book and a mug of butterbeer. Looking out the window, I saw that it had finally began to snow. This was my absolute favorite time of the year.

I read for about an hour or so noticing that the common room had been really quiet lately. There was no sign of the boys so who knows what kind of trouble they had gotten into. I shrugged it off and kept reading until I dozed off.

"Wake up sleeping beauty." I have no idea how long I had been asleep, but I opened my eyes to meet a pair of warm brown eyes and messy black hair. I felt my cheeks heat up from being so close to James.

I had always had a little crush on him, but I tended to ignore those feelings because it would change the whole dynamic of the friend group. Plus I knew that he would never feel the same way; he had his eye on Lily for the longest. I had been telling him to move on, but he didn't want to hear it.

"I'm awake." I yawned rolling my eyes trying to get him to back away but he didn't. He cocked his head to the side, his eyes never leaving mine. He didn't say anything for a minute, but then plopped down on the couch beside me.

He then rolled onto his back with his head in my lap. I reached down and started running my fingers through his hair and scratching his scalp which caused him to let out a couple of low moans. I couldn't help but smile at the image; he was perfect.

We sat like that for a while neither of us saying much of anything,

"What do you want for Christmas?" James was the first one to break the silence. I glanced down at him to see that he still hadn't opened his eyes.

"I haven't really given it much thought James. Maybe a new sweater or a pair of shoes."

"Hmm." Was all he said before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a golden snitch.

I smiled at the memory of that golden snitch. It was one of my fondest memories with James. Back during our 4th year when we beat Slytherin in the championship.

When James finally caught the snitch, I pushed my way through the stands under I reached the field. I sprinted to James his arms outstretched and when I jumped into his arms it felt as if this is how it was supposed to be. I let go of him and I thought we were we were going to kiss. I felt it, he felt it, but the second he started leaning in towards me, we were bombarded by the rest of the Mauraders.

I stared at the Snitch, it's wings fluttering in James' grasp. I recall him telling me something about how they have memories and remember the first person that touched them. He let the Snitch go and it flited around the common room for a little bit before returning to his outstretched hand. He did this a couple of times over and over again.

"Where's the dog?" I finally questioned.

"The last time I saw him he was outside playing in the snow with his new girl of the week from Ravenclaw."

"That poor girl," I sighed. "I wish he would stop playing around with girl's feelings. It's not fair."

"Speaking of..." James grumbled looking towards the entrance of the common room. It was Sirius' girl from last week, Amanda Harrison.

She stomped into the room and over to the window. She crossed her arms glaring out the window. She must be watching Sirius and his new girl playing outside. The girl whipped around to the both of us her eyes glassy with tears.

"He promised he wouldn't just use me and then leave. All my friends told me not to trust him, but like an idiot I believed him."

"I'm gonna go talk to him." James sadly sighed and headed out the portrait hole. The girl dragged her hand across her eyes trying to dry the tears and sat down beside me.

"You're around him all the time. How have you managed not to fall in love with him?"

"I have no interest in Sirius whatsoever. Never have." I shrugged.

"Oh." I could see the wheels turning in her head but I had no idea what she was trying to work out. "Does that mean you have a thing for James?"

"Something like that." I grumbled, "but he has absolutely no interest in me."

"Are you serious?" Amanda threw her head back and laughed, "have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You mean to tell me you've never noticed the way James looks at you? He looks at you as if you are the only thing in this world that truly matters."

"Why have I never seen this?"

"I guess you're just never looking when he does." She shrugged letting out a small sigh, "if a guy looked at me the way he looks at you I would marry him on the spot."

I wasn't sure what to make of anything Amanda was saying, but I knew she had no reason to lie to me. She wouldn't make this up for her gain. I ran upstairs to my room, grabbed a sweater, gave a quick thanks to Amanda, and went outside to find James.

I trudged through the ankle deep snow and found James standing under a small tree watching Remus and Sirius play in the snow.

"Hi." His eyes lit up when he saw me and I was seriously starting to consider what Amanda told me. He held out a hand and when I took it he gently pulled me into him wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder. "Back in the common room you never asked me what I wanted." James mumbled. I could tell he was pouting and I let out a little chuckle.

"What do you mean?"

"I asked what you wanted for Christmas when I was laying in your lap in the common room. You told me that you wanted either a sweater or a pair of shoes, but you never asked what I wanted."

"You remember what I wanted?" I was surprised. I pulled away from him and looked up into his eyes then back down at my snow covered boots and then over to the frozen lake. Whenever I get nervous around James, I can never look him in the eye. I usually just end up staring at my shoes.

"Of course I remembered (y/n)." He lowly chuckled using his one finger under my chin to force me to look up at him. We were standing so close that I could see the exact color of his eyes. There were a couple of flecks of green mixed in with his brown. "I remember everything about you."

"What do you want for Christmas?" I swallowed getting more and more nervous every second that we were standing this close.

"You."

_~_~_~_~_~_
Please don't be afraid to request something!! I love hearing what you guys want me to write about. You don't even have to come up with a scenario; just give me some people you'd like me to include and I'll write something! And you can also make request for the preferences as well.