Our First Game

Bailey's POV

I woke up this morning and looked at the clock, it was only 10:00. I got up anyway, we have our first game, we may not be the best team, but at least we enjoy playing the game.

I heard a knock at the door, I got up and opened it to my surprise it was Connie. I welcomed her in, she smiled and hugged me. She sat on the couch and so did I.

"So, nervous for the first game?" Connie asked, I shrugged my shoulders.

"Sort of, first time actually playing against anyone, but also glad because I get to play with a team." Connie smiled, she had her hockey bag on the ground beside mine in the hall.

"Aren't you usually with Guy?" I asked, since shes always is with him. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Yea I guess, but this girl is allowed to have some time with her bestie." We laughed and joked around. It was almost noon and our game is at three, so I figured we should eat.

"Want some lunch?" I asked, she nodded, we got up and made a mess of the kitchen. We got some sandwiches, another knock at the door. Connie and I looked at each other and laughed, then we got up and ran to the door.

"Charlie?" Connie said, he had his hockey bag on his shoulder and a smile on his face.

"Hey Connie, Bailey. Ready for the game?" He asked, Connie and I looked at each other and laughed for some reason but nodded. We grabbed our hockey bags, we slipped on our shoes and out we went.

We followed Charlie down to the rink, we're playing the Hawks, yay us. The three of us were talking non-sense, and saying anything that came to mind. We just arrived and joined Guy, Peter and Averman at the doors, the six of us walked in together.

We went to the change rooms, my locker was beside Connie's. We sat down and opened our bags, she got ready and I did the same. I got out my shin pads, hockey pants and elbow pads, I put my sweater on and elbow pads over top. On the back of my sweater it said District-5 with my last name Thompson, and on the front D-5.

Charlie walked over to us and sat down, he laced up his skates. Connie and I looked at each other and did up our skates.

"Ready for our game?" Charlie asked us, we both shrugged and looked at each other. "Why do you guys always do that?"

"Do what?" Connie said, then laughed as she looked at me.

"That!" Charlie said, we laughed at him, everyone looked at Charlie because he was shouting.

"They're girls Charlie, they're gonna do anything to annoy us." Averman stated, I gave him the stink eye.

"They don't annoy me." Guy said and winked at us, we looked at each other and shrugged. We all got up and walked one by one to the bench, we placed our bottles on the bench and skated on the ice. Coach came to the bench and called us in, the game was about to start.

"Okay district 5, get on the ice and give it all you got!" Coach Bombay shouted. "Charlie, Connie, Thompson, Averman, Karp and Goldberg you're up first." He said, we looked at each other and skated onto the ice.

"Take center Bailey." Charlie said, I nodded. The referee came up and asked me and the... Hawk? If we were ready. We both said yes, he dropped the puck and we fought for the puck, he got it. Charlie and Connie were on each side skating to get the puck.

Connie tried getting it but fell, when Averman ran into her, I skated behind Charlie in case he lost the puck. One of the Hawks pushed Charlie and he slid into the boards, I skated faster towards the Hawk player and fell.

"Catch them, don't let them shoot!" Coach yelled. The Hawk skated faster and took a shot at Goldberg, he scored. The siren went off, it was now 1-0 for us, we did another puck drop, this time Averman went, he didn't get the puck. He fell and tried to get up, Karp wasn't fast so that didn't help. Charlie, Connie and I skated to the Hawks, trying to cover a player and trying to get the puck.

I fell running into Connie, Charlie and Averman tried catching up to the Hawks, at the other net, but couldn't and they scored.

"Line change!" Coach Bombay shouted, we skated to the bench as Guy, Terry, Jesse, Peter and I skated onto the Ice, we're an uneven number so coach has to keep a player on from the last line change.

We skated to our positions, Jesse took center as Terry and Guy took the left and right wing, Peter and I took left and right defensemen. Jesse got the puck and passed it to me, I skated forward, passing it back to Jesse.

Jesse was on a streak speeding down the ice alongside Guy and Terry, Peter stayed near the back on our side of the rink as I skated forward to the guys. Jesse passed the puck to Terry who passed it to me, I had missed it, a Hawk got it, I skated on his talk most of the way down the ice.

He made a sharp turn making me run into him, he fell and we both ran into Goldberg. Who moved out of the way causing us to ram into the net, scoring for them. The Hawk got up, he looked at me and gave me his hand, I took it as he helped me up.

"Thanks." I said

"No problem, you might wanna watch where you're going." He told me, I nodded , he skated down the ice I saw his last name, Larson. Peter and I switched sides, to see if it would help.

"Line change!" We changed position's this time, Jesse stayed on the ice." What was that Thompson?" What'd I do, talk to the enemy? Made the Hawks get a goal? I don't know.

"I uh, don't know Coach." I told him, he looked at me in defeat and started yelling at the guys and Connie to go faster and make more passes.

The Hawks made another goal, we weren't doing any better than before. I looked up from the ground and noticed there was only 30 seconds left on the clock and Charlie was on a breakaway, no one near him.

'Yes Charlie, come on!" Coach shouted.

"It's spazeway, he's gonna miss the puck." Peter said. We continued to look at Charlie, he went to shoot and missed the puck and fell sliding into the Hawks, net. The Hawks, got the puck and made a goal, just before the time ran out.

We were disappointed, we all sat ont he bench, Goldberg was grabbing his water bottle, when Coach threw it on the floor.

"That was the sloppiest hockey I've ever seen!" Peter made little remarks and started to laugh. "Practice tomorrow, be there for eight!" He sighed and headed out of the arena. We all walked to the change rooms.