Cardinals

Bailey's POV

I rushed down the stairs to my hockey bag, I got my shoes on and left the house. My mom and Brandon went out shopping and would meet me at the rink later. We have a quick practice then a game, Coach wants to get a few things straight with the team.

I walked down the side of the road, I couldn't help but notice Coach Reilly arriving at the game, his team isn't even playing us, were playing the Cardinals. A tough team, but we've been practicing and the Cardinals won't know what hit them.

I walked into the arena down to the locker rooms, I found The Ducks locker room and walked in. I sat beside Connie, she was finishing putting her gear on. I started unzipping my bag and grabbed my gear and skates. I noticed these didn't look like my skates.

"No, no...." I mumbled, Connie must've heard me, she looked at me confused.

"What's wrong? Forget a pad or something?" She asked, the guys looked at us and left the locker room when they were done.

"No, these aren't my skates!" I said, she laughed.

"They don't look like your skates, but they're in your bag Bails." Connie said, I agreed. Then realized where MY skates are, they're in Larson's hockey bag, we must've grabbed the wrong pair of skates yesterday. I sighed.

I guess this will have to do, I sucked it up. They were a bit too big, but were comfier than mine. I tied my laces and skated out onto the rink, they're not the worst but not the best. I lined up beside Jesse and Karp.

"Okay Ducks, the plan today is to win, but also to have fun. Five laps then practice your penalty shots and defense work." Coach said, we all nodded and cheered. Coach walked over to the bench, he grabbed his clipboard and started drawing stuff down.

"Bailey? Wanna do some 1 vs 1?" Connie asked, I nodded. Guy skated towards us, I stuck my tongue out at him and skated with her, he crossed his arms and went off pouting.

"What's wrong with Guy?" She asked, I shrugged.

"Must've  forgotten something." I suggested, she nodded and started skating, I turned and faced her, skating backwards. She looked at me oddly but kept going with the drills. She deked me a few times, till I stole the puck from her, I skated towards the net and took a shot, Score!

"Wow, very nice technic." Connie smiled, I looked up at her, raising my helmet onto my head. We laughed and skated to the bench, coach gave us a pep talk before the game started.

"Ok Ducks, the other team may be stronger, tougher but we are the Mighty Ducks, we can take anyone who comes in our way of victory!" Coach Cheered, we put a hand in, Coach started.

"Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,......" We all chimed in one after the other. We raised our hands into the air as we said our final quack and took our positions on the ice. I went right wing, Jesse took center, Charlie left wing, Tammy left defensemen and Peter right defensemen.

Jesse skated forward, looking at me then to Charlie. He parted his feet and put his hands on the stick, looking down at the puck that is soon to be dropped. I counted to three, 1, 2, 3. Puck drop. Jesse got the puck and passed it back to Tammy, she skated for awhile but got shoved.

Charlie came up to her and grabbed the puck, one of the Cardinals rammed into Charlie. Jesse and I followed a Cardinal down the ice, I nodded to Jesse. He went behind the Cardinal and stood as defense.

I turned backwards and skated in front of the Cardinal. He looked at me, I started moving my stick around as if I had the puck. He got distracted, I snatched the puck and raced down to the other end of the rink with Jesse by my side.

"Behind you!" Jesse yelled, I turned my head back and saw two tall guys approach me. I passed the puck to Jesse. And felt the wind get knocked out of me from behind. I heard my mom scream, I knew it was her because of the sound she made, the piercing one that makes your ears bleed.

"Down goes Thompson." The announcer said, the Cardinals laughed. I saw Jesse close to the net, I got up quickly to assist him, he was being chassed down and passed me the puck. I got the puck, I didn't hesitate and took a shot at the goalie. I heard the siren go off, and Jesse come skating to me.

"Wow, the Ducks actually scored, Bailey Thompson with the nice score with an assist of Jesse Hall." The guy announced, I hugged Jesse and Charlie as they came up to me. It was time for line change.

"Great shot Thompson, nice assist Jesse." Jesse and I nodded at Coach's words. I sat down between Jesse and Charlie. I looked at the score board, second period, 3-1.

~~~Third Period~~~

The game was almost finished, Coach decided to do one last line change, he yelled 'Change it up'. We looked at him.

"Conway, Germaine, Fulton, Thompson and Moreau." Coach yelled, we skated onto the ice. I took my usual position right wing, Charlie left wing, Connie right defensemen, Guy center and Fulton took left defensemen.

The ref dropped the puck, the Cardinals got the puck, we all skated down the ice. Fulton was trying to stay open, so we can get him to take a shot at the goaltender. Fulton was open and hit the ice with his stick, motioning to pass him the puck.

Charlie passed the puck to me, to which I skated and passed to Fulton as I passed him. He aligned himself up with the puck and took a shoot. The rest of us on the ice, stood near the Sidelines, the Cardinals looked at us. The siren went off.

"What a nice goal from #44, Fulton Reed, one of the newest players to the Ducks!" He announced, we all cheered and hoo-ha. The game was over in a matter of seconds, we took the puck and messed around so the other team couldn't score another goal.

"Looks like the Ducks are still on their loosing streak, but seem to be coming back into the game, coming in at 8th instead of 10th, what a miracle." The announcer announced, we cheered.

"Now that, was a great game, Ducks!" Coach cheered, we all grabbed a sip from our bottles, then shaking the other team's hand. When I was done I skated towards my mom and Brandon.

"Nice goal out there." Brandon said, hugging me. My mom smiled.

"I'm so proud of you baby girl" My mom squealed, squeezing me into a tight hug and messing up my hair. I laughed as did they. I told them I needed to change and I'd meet them outside. I walked into the locker room.

"Have you been practicing Thompson?" Coach asked, everyone looked at me. I shook my head.

"Not really, just practicing on my own time at the pond and with my brother sometimes." I lied, the team looked at me, they bought it though.

"Oh, it's been paying off, so has all the work everyone else has been doing, great job tonight Ducks!" Coach Bombay said, we smiled and looked his way. He left the change room, saying to meet tomorrow for practice. I untied my skates, which are Larson's, he's gonna have fun in his game with my skates, they're hockey skates, but they're a few sizes smaller then his.

Lucky him, I thought, I could bring him his skates. I decided to walk down to the Hawks locker room, no one saw me, which is good. I walked in....