Here We Go Again

Not Edited

"Hey Coach, is something up?"  I ask as I follow the speed walking man out of the conference room. Ever since he got off his phones he's been keeping this stoic and concerned look on his face. He keeps his glaze straight and ignores my question until I used my right arm and whack him roughly on the shoulder.

"Huh?..Oh yeah I'm fine Charlotte no need to worry" he responds giving my an unbelievable smile

Sure you are....

"You sure?...you seem a bit tense" I push

"It's nothing Charlotte. My ugh dog ate some chocolate again and the uh caretaker doesn't have the patience to deal with her" he tells me, clearly lying through his teeth

"Mmm alright" I reply letting him off the hook for now

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day...

I sit alone in the audience as I wait for the Men Short program event to take place. It's still early and the boys are still warming up on the ice. Javi has a chance at winning his third consecutive World title and Yuzu can possibly win his second World title.

I watch as Javi skates through his program really letting his Spaniard side out skating to Malagueña. I watch Nathan hit all the difficult quads he has planned out and Shoma glides across the ice doing his signature spread eagle with the lean. Then there's my boy, Yuzu going into his quad loop and surprisingly falling. I watch as he get's up off the ice and starts shaking his head a little, mentally giving himself a pep talk. He looks unfocused like his mind is somewhere off in space...

"Hey Charlotte" a voice sounds

Oh, Evgenia...

"Hey Evgenia" I smile

"Do you mind if I sit?" she asks pointing to the empty seat to my right

"No, not at all" I tell her feeling grateful for so form of company

The two of us sit in a comfortable silence for a while watching the men skate, until Evgenia breaks the silence by starting conversation.

"So...we're sitting really closely in terms of scores. Believe it or not but I'm really nervous for tomorrow. I know a lot of people from my home country are relying on me to bring home another gold medal, but I don't know if I can do it. After my successful season last year many people think I'm invincible. I love skating but I sometimes wish I could just be a normal teenager without having so much pressure put on me" she says quietly, to the point where I have to strain my ears to catch what she has to say.

I find myself silently agreeing with her. Going into Sochi, I had three consecutive wins at Worlds, the Grand Prix final, and Canadian Nationals. I thought I was unstoppable when I won at Sochi, but that all fell to pieces when I let my confidence get to my head and the anxiety hit me pretty hard. Figure skating is an exciting and exhilarating sport but the press that comes with competing can be unbearable.   

"I hate to be that guy but I know how it feels. The nerves never really leave you. Sometimes you need to use them to your advantage" I tell her trying to sound all wise

"I'm really glad I got to compete against you this year at your top form. You're really good competition and I think we push each other. When I try to get the 10% bonus for putting my jumps in the second half, you come back at me with a quad" she says giving a little laugh at the end.

I find myself laughing at this statement too.

To think I was gonna go at this kids throat months ago...