One Last Time

A/N: So this story probably has about 3-4 chapters left and I want to finish it before school starts so I can begin my new story Hope and Legacy. By the way I'm going to Italy soon, just pray for me that I won't run into Romano LOL. Enjoy!

In moments like this we need to remember who are. Who brought us here, our journey to get to where we are. Moments like this are often taken for granted. We're standing on the top of the world one second and then we're falling to our inevitable doom the next. Often before, I would take the World Championships for granted. I felt like every competition was the same. I would skate and somehow end up on top each time. Not today. This is my first time in four years where I'm sitting at a comfortable position after the short and not to mention not too far off from the current leader. I need to keep my head in the game. 

"Evgenia! Do you think that you will be able to defend your title?"

"Charlotte, tell us how you feel about being close to winning your fourth World title!"

"Kaetlyn how are you feeling walking into the free?"

The press calls questions out to us as we walk into the arena, their cameras flashing at us, and their microphones being shoved into our faces.

"Go warm up alright? I'll go and check you in" Coach tells me as he parts from me and heads towards the check in desk.

I walk through the backstage area with my phone in my hands, plugging in my earbuds and hitting play on my warm-up playlist. I begin to jog, getting my body warmed up. This is the last time I'll skate Requiem, the last time I'll wear the red dress, the last time for a while that I'll be competing. 

I carry my body back and forth along the length of the backstage area. I can't afford to screw up this time around.  Deciding it was time to jump, I find a quiet area. Bend down and up, triple axel, reach back, triple toe-loop, pull in, triple loop. Coach thought it would be best to add a triple-triple-triple to maximize my points and compensate for the lack of quads in my program. 

I shuffle my feet a bit in order to gain momentum before attempting another triple axel when someone bumps into me. Before the impact can send me to the ground, said person reaches an arm out and grabs my wrist before I can nose dive to the ground.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorr-Charlotte!? I didn't think I'd get a chance to see you!" the person exclaims

I look up from their hand on my wrist to face the voice's owner. 

"Carolina?!" I gasp looking up at my saviour and long time friend.

"You're here! You're competing!" I shout pulling her into a hug 

"I thought about what you said and I thought you were right. I may be 30 but that isn't stopping me from skating. It's nice to see you again and compete against you. I think Sochi was the last time we were up against one another" she smiles

"It's good to have you back as a competitor. Are you planning on competing at PyeongChang too?" I question

"I haven't thought that far ahead but I really want to. I wouldn't want to miss the Olympic games" 

"By the way, I wanted to thank you once again. You know for the whole Romano thing. You really saved me back there" I gush 

As I mention this, her face goes blank and all the colour goes with it. 

"Charlotte, I hope you know that-"

"Carolina! What are you doing!? There's only three more skaters and then you're on. Hurry up, get your skates on" her coach yells, his Italian accent booming throughout the backstage area. 

"I guess I'll catch you later Charlotte!" Carolina calls to me as she follows her coach behind the curtains.

"Good luck" I call out to her hoping she heard me as she left.

Why was everyone acting so strange?

What are they trying to tell me?

.

.

.

"Charlotte, you have that look in your eyes again" Coach tells me snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I ask looking up at him from my sudden daze. 

"That look where you're overthinking things. Now isn't the time to over analyze" he tells me taking my jacket from me.

Evgenia just skated and pulled a combined total of 233.41. That is now the score to beat. 

"I know, I just need to breath. Keep my head forward and focus. That's what you taught me right Coach?" I ask, pulling the most convincing smile that I can.

"One the ice...please welcome Charlotte Akagi of Canada!"

"Right. That's your cue. Go get'em kiddo" Coach smiles pushing me to skate out

As I skate to centre ice, I catch a glimpse of my secret weapon; Yuzuru. He smiles and waves at me with Javi beside him. I nod to the two of them so they know I see them. 

This is my last chance to rock this program. Let's do this. One last time. 

To quote the great Mozart himself, 'Did I not say before, that I was writing this Requiem for myself?'