4 - The Audition

Su Ju's POV

It was finally the day.

The day in which I was going to preform for SM Entertainment.

I decided to accept the man's offer. Maybe this would be a way to earn more money and get myself back on track.

For my audition, I chose to sing EXO-M's "What is Love," hand in some lyrics I composed, and to dance for the judges. I hadn't danced in a while but I recently just started playing around with a couple of moves. I began to practice a lot, so I thought "Why not?" Besides that, I was pretty good at improvising.

I used to get really angry at SM Entertainment because of how the members were treated overall. Buttttttt, I had to put away those feelings if I wanted to become part of the company.

My name and number was called, and I walked up from my chair into a mirrored room. There, were four judges. They all looked somewhat loose, but I knew I couldn't judge them so quickly. I stood in the middle of the room and felt my heart begin to pound.

"You're Chinese, correct?" One of the judges asked.

"Yes. I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin, but I also speak Korean and I'm fluent in English." I replied in Korean, shocking both myself and the judges. This was the first time I spoke Korean to some Korean people without stuttering! I was about to pump my fist in the air but quickly came back to my senses and hid my happiness.

"Okay. Let's start with your singing." The second judge said, giving me a nod. I took a deep breath in, before beginning to sing in Chinese.

I didn't know how I sounded because for some reason, I decided to close my eyes and do my best to block everything out. Right now, it was only me in this room.

And possibly a puddle of sweat under my feet.

I think I did okay, but...

Man, I almost peed myself.

...I don't think that would be a good first impression.

I continued to sing, pushing back my fear of being rejected and ended strongly.

When I ended, the judges just nodded and began to scribble on pieces of paper really quickly and with really bad handwriting-like a doctor in a rush handwriting. They began to whisper to each other, making me even more worried than I already was. I felt like I was going to die of nervousness.

"Can you sing that song in Korean?" One of the judges finally asked. I quickly nodded my head. I began to sing in Korean as best as I could. I think that I actually sung better in Korean than I did in Chinese, which frightened me. It shouldn't have though-I usually sang in Korean on the streets.

I ended the the song with confidence this time. The judges had the exact same reaction however, which eliminated that confidence.

"Okay, we will now pick a song for you, and you will have to dance to it, making up your own moves."

This was the part in which I was most scared of.

I mean, what if they liked my singing but not my dancing!? To be honest, I've only watched myself dance in the mirror and half the time, I try to hide my face from myself. I nodded and a familiar song came on. The song was "K.A.R.D.'s Don't Recall." Once again, I imagined myself to be all alone, and I think I did pretty good. However, I think that I could've done better.

I ended my dancing, breathing heavily as the judges went back to scribbling on the same pieces of paper.

"Alright Su Ju, we'll give you a call if you're accepted next week. NEXT!"

~
Third Person's POV

Su Ju was walking to his little station for singing when his flip phone began to ring.

"Hello?"

"This is Su Ju, correct?"

"Yes, who's calling?"

"This is SM. Congratulations, we have accepted you into our company. Could you come to our building ASAP so that we can negotiate your contract?"

Su Ju's eyes widened, as did his smile. He did a little dance on the street, and sure, people stared and laughed at him, but he was too happy to care. Everything was happening so quickly!

"Of course! I'll be there in a few minutes." Su Ju replied, calling a cab.

~

Su Ju cleared his throat as he entered the room. There was a giant oval table in the middle, and at least ten important looking people sitting around it.

"Su Ju, please take a seat."

Su Ju sat down at the only open chair and was immediately passed at least a packet of twenty papers.

"Welcome to SM. We have some very big plans for you, Su Ju."

"Thank you sir, it's a pleasure to be working here now!" Su Ju replied enthusiastically.

For the next two hours, Su Ju filled out all of these files and papers.

"So Su Ju, you are so very lucky. We believe that your talent level is so far up, that we will be putting you in a group in a few days. However, you do need to work on your dancing."

"What group will I be joining?" Su Ju asked.

"One of our biggest ones-

EXO."