Part 30

A/N: You might find some words unknown, look bellow for the meaning of them.

"Have a little more Tuli!... I saw how much you have liked the murighanta. You know that's thamma's recipe. And have the way your mother in law used to make this dish, ih my that lady had some charm in her hand..." Ratna was all blabbering up in excitement and joy while serving the newlyweds. She couldn't suppress her emotion. "Subhro I am refilling your plate..." and with out caring for his reply she did so. She was overwhelmed getting the boy all of them were so worried about, near. She was no way about to let him go without making sure he was well fed and nurtured. As if this one meal by her was enough to heal the boy.

Ratna's eyes teared up, throat hurt and voice choked a little as she remembered her dead sister in law and brother in law. Subhro's mother was very dear to her and so was his father.

Ratna's eyes scrutinised Tuli moment to moment. And her mind developed a different opinion on her than Riya.

***

After lunch everyone sat down in the living room. But Tuli went to thamma as the lady wished to talked to her. She gestured with her hand to Tuli walk towards her as she entered thamma's room.

"Darling come and sit here." Thamma said to Tuli and she did so.

The old lady pulled out a red velvet pouch beside her and kept it on Tuli's hand.

"Go ahead dear open it. Look if you like what's inside." A smile of mischief played on thamma's lips as she ushered Tuli.

With shaking hand Tuli slips Her fingers inside the pouch and pulled out a long gold chain and two bangles. The chain was made of balls that were crafted like the seed of rudraksh, and the bangles were like very thick rope. Both the designs were old schools making them look more elegant.

The jewelleries were heavy very much, but to Tuli they seemed heavier than ever. She looked down at those shiny things.

"Did you like it dear?" Thamma asked with utter delight and curiosity. "Those are from my mother in law. After Subhro was born I had been saving them for his wife since."

"Did you like them?"

Ratna's voice from doorstep made both of them turn at her and watch her walking towards them. She smiled at Tuli. "Come on wear them, okay let me." And before Tuli could even say anything Ratna slipped the bangles around her hand. "Look maa they are looking so pretty in her hand!!!" The daughter and mother in law exchanged admiring Tuli and the bangles in her.

The bangles felt like handcuffs weighted so much so that as if it was choking her.

"What happened? Didn't you like them Tuli?" Tuli's pained expression made Ratna's eyebrows come together making folds. Thamma was looking at Tuli's hand taking them in her hand. Ratna's question made her look up with surprise.

Tuli looked up quickly at Ratna and then thamma. The old woman's eyes were gaping at her intently and with so much expectations. Not only for Tuli to like her gifts but also the expectations of her being a the good wife, who could take care of Subhro, as he needed.

Tuli couldn't stair at her eyes for long. She looked down at her hands. The bangles shone. "No. These... these are beautiful. Thank you." Tuli mumbled through her parched throat trying hard to form a smile as she swallowed. She couldn't be just rude to them. She couldn't. One part of her wanted to just run away from all these, it was irritated enough. But the other part, that was the one holding her back. Holding her back from snapping. That was the part reminding her how Subhro behaved with her relatives and her parents, and this time it was her turn. It was suddenly felt so important to her that they were Subhro's relative. The conflict was making each of her cell itch.