Chapter 27

Dakota's POV

I watched as the other raptors were locked in this...thing. You couldn't see their bodies except for their heads, and even those were bared up making them unable to move. I stood by the gate, watching them. Observing. Normally if Barry or Owen were to come by me I would turn human and great them, but Owen gave me orders, I am not allowed to let anyone know of my ability. I lowered my body to the ground. Once I was comfortable, I looked up. Blue was watching me, he had an expression that I didn't recognize. I looked away, and saw Delta. She...gave me the same look she always does. I don't know why she is so mad at me. I am not sure if I did anything wrong.

I was snapped out of the thoughts when a round blurry things leans in front of my face. I focused my attention on it. I growled when I saw Hawkins.

"So, ah...why isn't he locked up too?" He must be stupid, doesn't he notice that there aren't enough of the 'cage' things for me?

"Because there isn't one open." Barry said plainly not really caring.

"Isn't he new? I thought we only had four raptors. What is his name?" He asked. I growled once again, for some reason, everyone thinks I am a male.

"Dakota, and she is a girl. She is smarter than you will ever dream of being." Barry added making me chirp.

"Oh yeah? I bet you she would be dumb enough to bite the hand that feeds her. If you let her in here she would doom herself. That isn't particularly smart." Hawkins spat back. I growled making him flinch and take a step back. Blue growled too, also making Hawkins take an even bigger step back from him. Barry stood up walking over to the main panel that controlled the gate doors.

"Would you like to test that theory? I have been working with her since she was a hatching. She understands every word I am saying." He moved his hand towords the button to open the gate door.

"Are you crazy? Your going to do that? Your insane!" Hawkins and another employee yell moving to the very back of the enclosure.

"I am only a little, but that's why I am here." He says pressing the button opening the door. I knew not to attack. Barry had also locked the main gate so the others couldn't get out. I took a few steps in, I could hear their hearts beating a mile per second. I mentally smirked and walked in more.

"Get her out! Your going to be fired if you don't die first!" Hawkins yelled. I growled almost tempted to get rid of him once and for all. But I pulled the reigns on the urge.

"See, she is harmless unless tempted." Barry added walking over to me and wrapping an arm around my neck. If it were someone else, I would have already killed them, but I knew Barry's touch, it was indistinguishable, and easily recognizable. I purred and rubbed my head against his, the other humans in the area either watched on in amazement or terror. The fear that I might attack was so thick in the air I could cut it with a knife.

"You see this is why I say we should run a field test! You can control that raptor better than anyone could control a wild cat. May I...?" He asked walking closer with his hand out. Everyone stopped moving and even breathing when Blue let out a loud roar.

"Don't touch her!" He shouted making me back away and bow my head. He was my new alpha, well aside from Owen and Barry.

Barry didn't seem to understand, and neither did anyone else.

"If she will let you sure." Barry said almost unsure. Hawkins walked in closer, Blue's growls still rang through the area. I wanted to obey him, but I had to obey Barry too. Hawkins reached his hand out, Barry watched closely to see if I showed any signs of an attack. Hawkins hand was close to my face, the smell of metal from a gun, and his scent mixed with lies and betrayal that flooded my senses. I growled a loud threatening growl. Barry pushed Hawkins back and moved in front of me, he placed his hands on the side of my face.

"Ah, well she got me." He said laughing. He wouldn't be laughing if I could get at him. He smells like bad news. I would have to tell Barry if and when I get the chance.

"Yeah, well that's enough for tonight. Come on Dako-" Barry was cut off by the sounds of a vehicle approaching. Owen walked out, anger radiating off of him.

"Well well well, the mother hen has arrived-HMPH!" Hawkins bends over covering his face. I watched, but Barry started pushing me back into the cage. I don't really know what they are talking about, but after a while Owen's face turning into that of uncertainty and slight regret. What was he thinking, what was happening, and what is Hawkins planning?