Chapter Six: The Partner

"Be careful the roads are icy this time of year

"Be careful the roads are icy this time of year." My father tells me as I shoulder my bag.

"Dad, don't worry. I'm fine. I'll see you guys when I get home." I tell my family before walking out the door and running to my car, the cold winter morning nipping at my skin and clothing like an angry animal.

"Good Lord it's cold." I shiver, cranking the heat up on full blast and buckling up.

I make it to school half frozen and half asleep, the sun barely peaking up over the horizon as I walk into the school building.

This school year has been really hard because of Elizabeth's absence but hopefully the second semester will be easier than the first.

I think our whole friend group feels the large gap that Scarlett and Liz always filled. When they graduated we all walked around not knowing what to do without ourselves the first few months of the school year.

Luckily we realized that the hard part of high school is over and all we have to do is come to school most of the time and basically do nothing.

I worked so hard through out my freshmen, sophomore, and junior years that I have enough extra credit, extra circulars, and athletic training to last me a life time. So as I entered my senior year I took the L on literally everything.

So here I am. Back at school and more bored than ever. I barely had to take any classes and so most of my periods are free or time set aside to study. At first I loved it but now I count the seconds until I can leave this hellhole.

Will, on the other hand, is always more chipper than should be humanly possible.

"I had the most amazing sleep last night. I feel so refreshed." He tells me as we sit in homeroom, the monotonous teacher taking attendance at the head of the class.

"Oh really? How nice for you." I yawn.

He chuckles, leaning forward to whisper something in Korbin's ear. He just laughs and nods in agreement. I decide to not even try to inquire about what the heck they're on about.

"How did you sleep?" He whispers.

I simply lull my head to the side and give him a glare. He quickly holds his hands up in surrender, chuckling under his breath. "Message received."

The lulls on and soon I'm entering my A.P English class. It's the one class I enjoy and didn't mind taking.

As I walk in I notice someone sitting in the back of the class causing me to stop in my tracks. I quickly approach him.

"Korbin? Since when do you take A.P English?" I know that Korbin is known to be smart and intellectual in many different aspects of his life but English has never been one. He's a wiz at Math. Something I've always been envious of.

His head rolls to the side to look at me, his arms crossed over his chest comfortably. "The principal suggested it to me. It's the only class I haven't aced and it'll look good on my college applications."