Chapter Nine: The Rush

Bonjour!

Comment ca va? ;)

Much love for you. Thanks for readinggg

"Am I the only one who realizes how boring this book is?" Korbin whines, flopping onto his back on my living room floor

My eyes narrow at him. "It's not boring. It's a beautiful and tragic depiction of love and loss. Insanity even." I throw my hands up as I defend the honor of the great novel.

He blinks at me. "You sounds like Miss Sanders."

"Thank you."

"Not a compliment." He mumbles under his breath.

"Not my problem." I snap back, holding my book up in front of my face to hide my burning cheeks from view.

I hear him sigh and a few moments later, a page turning.

"Okay so I've seen the movie." He blurts out.

I lower my book so my eyes peak out, looking at him in surprise. "Before or after the assignment?" I raise a brow.

He rolls his eyes, his cheeks turning slightly red. "Before. My younger sister forced me to. So I know how terrible the whole thing is."

"Terrible?" I ask, shocked.

He nods as if this is obvious. "The guy literally goes blind after his psychopath wife jumps off the top of his huge house and the whole thing burns down. This is after he purposes to Jane and makes out with her. It's all horrible." Korbin states, waving his hand passionately.

I sigh, pushing my hair out of my face. "I mean, yeah, it's all kind of depressing but it's all so...moving and thematic." I breath.

His nose scrunches up in annoyance, a strand of his long hair falling over his eyes and clear forehead. That's another thing I despise about Korbin. His perfectly clear tan skin.

"You're so annoying." I throw a pillow from one of the couches at him but he catches it with one hand.

"You're not exactly a ray of tolerable sunshine either, princess." He bites.

My glare deepens, my cheeks turning a deeper red from anger. "Can we please just get back to work?"

"Gladly." He says, clenching his teeth as he takes a note in his notebook.

I watch him as he works angrily for a moment before turning back to the task at hand. I underline a few things in my copy with pencil, thinking deeply about each sentence. Searching for the hidden meanings and metaphors that might help in my essay.

We read and write silently, only speaking and working together when absolutely necessary.

I'm in the middle of writing the middle of a large paragraph playing out in my head when I freeze.