Chapter Twenty-Five: The Restoration

[UNEDITED]

[UNEDITED]

As I step into Will's house, I feel like it's the first time in years. The smell of his home, the comfort of it all, is almost foreign to me. Even though, in reality, hardly any time has passed. Maybe three days.

My telling Will seems to me like it happened ages ago. Like every day that's passed have lasted an eternity.

"You coming?" Will calls behind him as he heads upstairs.

I nod, feeling embarrassed for standing here and just staring like an idiot. "Uh yeah...I'm coming. Right behind you." I say awkwardly.

He nods, continuing up the staircase. I close my eyes, cursing myself for being so weird. It's just Will.

Only...it's not just Will. He was "just Will" a few months ago but now he's...something else.

I jog to catch up with him. When I reach his bedroom, I look up to see him pulling his hoodie over his head, revealing a dark gray t shirt underneath. He throws the piece of clothing on the bed and sigh, inspecting his knuckles.

I quickly turn around, walking to the restroom across the hall and opening the medicine cabinet. I find what I need, and rush back to the bedroom. He is now sitting on his bed, his forearms resting on his knees as he hangs his head down, looking rather exhausted.

"Will." I speak. He looks up, seeing the supplies in my hands. "I thought I'd clean those up for you." I offer shyly, feeling awkward in my own skin as I stand in his room. Usually, this room is comforting and makes me feel at home but, at this moment, I feel nervous and on edge.

He looks at me before slowly shaking his head. "No I think I'd better do it." He tells me.

My eyebrows furrow, feeling rejected at the small action. "Why? I've always helped you clean stuff like this. Remember that one time when you flew off the handlebars of that bike and I had to help you - "

"May." He interrupts. "I really do appreciate the offer and I know you usually help me but now is not a 'usual' time. You know how stuff like this goes. The guy fights for the girl and then said girl helps said guy clean his hands. It always end with them making out or something." He tells me with a deep chuckle, taking the gauze, wraps, peroxide, and antibacterial cream from my grasp.

My lips part, my cheeks turning slightly red at his words. "This is different. We're...at odds at the moment."

He raises a thick brow, his hair falling over his forehead as his deep green eyes stare at me. "Is it? And I don't think I can keep a clear head with you playing nurse so it's best this way. We need to have a serious conversation." He says.

I'm caught off guard by his blunt words, my eyes glazed over. But I nod, taking a seat next to him on the mattress.

"So...where do we start?" I ask him, feeling oddly nervous. As if I'm about sitting in the big seat in the principals office and I'm about to be charged with detention.