Chapter Fifteen: The Visit

After school on Tuesday, I have a hankering to see Rebecca

After school on Tuesday, I have a hankering to see Rebecca. For some reason, I haven't seen her in a few weeks and ever since Will and I started "dating" I haven't been able to look her in the eye without worrying she'll figure me out.

But I think it would be the right thing to do to confide in her. She's like a second mother to me and I know she'd keep my secret and respect why I did what I did.

There's also a small part of me that's worried she won't understand and she'll hate me for hurting her son. Well...I haven't hurt him yet but it's almost inevitable.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" I feel Will's arms wrap around my waist from behind just before I open my car door, my keys dangling from my fingers.

My heart hammers against my chest from the sudden action. I knew he was behind me so why do I feel so anxious?

"I'm going to see your mom." I tell him, keeping my head forward.

He releases me, turning me around and giving me a concerned look. "Is everything okay? You usually only go see my mom when you need to talk."

I hate that he knows me so well.

His hazel eyes shine under the dull son, every one of his faint freckles out and in view. "Do you need me to come with you?" I hear the genuineness in his voice.

Or maybe I don't hate it so much.

I give him a reassuring smile, placing my hands on his chest. He relaxes slightly. "I'm okay. Stop being such a worry wart. I just want to talk with her...I miss her."

Will's eyes soften and he places his forehead against mine. "Me too. Let's pray she gets better soon."

"She will. I just know it." I whisper, his close proximity not dawning on me until a few seconds later. "I should get going. Visiting hours end soon."

"Okay. I'll see you later. I love you." He let's me go.

"I love you too."

Walking into the hospital, the smell of rubbing alcohol and latex gloves waft into my path, my nose scrunching. I make it to the desk, giving the receptionist my name and asking for the correct room number.

Soon, I'm booking it down the hall and knocking on a wooden door, a small window resting in the middle of the wood. I peer in, making sure she's in there, before entering.

I take in her appearance with a sad smile, the woman before me meaning almost as much to me as my own mother and me feeling completely helpless to help her.

"Becca." I smile, tears springing up in my eyes as she engulfs me in a tight hug.

"May-Bee. What brings you here." She smiles at me, her pale skin doing nothing to darken the light her beautiful hazel eyes.