Chapter Eight: The Birthday

Guys I'm low key starting to get mad at May-Bell. Like why. Things could be WAYYY less complicated.

Anyway, yeah thanks for reading :)

Wednesday rolls around and I've made little to no progress getting Heather and Will to talk

They've had several small conversations at the lunch table yesterday afternoon but other than that they stared awkwardly down at their food and avoided eye contact.

I'm lucky Heather even decided to come back to our table at all. I'm surprised we didn't scare her off to be honest.

I shake these thoughts away, not wanting to worry about anything today because it's someone very special's birthday and I want it to be perfect.

I bought his gift ages ago, too excited to wait. I pick at the decretive paper sticking out of the bag containing his gift. It's nothing huge but I remember months ago when he was absolutely obsessed with Stranger Things. He still is but it's died down a bit.

I'd be lying if I said I don't have my own obsession with the show and its love-able characters.

Like most people, Dusty and Steve have always been his favorite. I myself am rather keen on Mike and Eleven.

So I thought it would be a good idea to buy him a gift that reminded him of the many hours we spent watching our favorite show together.

"May-Bell! Shouldn't you be headed out?" My mother calls up the stairs.

My eyes widen when I check the time on my phone, scurrying to finish getting ready. I throw my hair into a messy ponytail before throwing on a pair of leggings and a white long sleeved shirt. I grab my keys and a coat before running out the door, slipping on a pair of Uggs.

As soon as I get into the car I don't even bother with the heat until I'm driving and on my way.

The cold begins to set in once I've been driving for several minutes and I shiver, cranking up the heat.

A terrible feeling overcomes me and I yell in frustration, slamming my hand on the steering wheel, accidentally honking the horn.

I check my mirrors quickly before making an illegal U turn.

"Sorry mom." I mutter under my breath as I speed home.

I try not to think about how late I'm going to be as I pull back into my driveway. I leave the car running, sprinting up the steps and into the house.