Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Worrying And Waiting

^^ @ohabigail 's beautiful cover

HEYYY WELCOME BACK. Just wanted to pop in and remind you guys that if you vote on all the chapters you get a shoutout in this story and maybe my profile page! Also, if you have any changes or suggestions for the story let me know!

(DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND THIS BOOK IS COMPLETELY FICTIONAL. THE IDEA OF GENE THERAPY IS BASED ON SOMETHING REAL BUT I AM NOT EDUCATED ENOUGH TO PORTAY IT WITH PERFECT ACCURACY.)

* * *

[UNEDITED]

[UNEDITED]

Monday's classes drag by, every period seeming to be a century long. Most likely because I'm dying to find out how Rebecca is feeling after her first treatment of gene therapy.

I hear the results should be pretty obvious and the way the tumor reacts to it should follow soon after the first session so every few seconds my fingers itch to check my phone for any messages from Will.

Unsurprisingly, he stayed away from school today to be with his mom and the rest of his family and I obviously fully support that decision. At the same time though, I wish I would have gone with him but I don't know...I felt that though she loves me, this is a time for family.

Plus, who knows, maybe she won't have a reaction at all to it and everything will stay the same. Which sounds even scarier than something negative happening because that would just mean the doctors can't help or do anything to help anymore.

But that's okay. It's not our first resort or my plan A. God is my plan A and I know he'll come through like he always does.

"MayBell." My name is called by my teacher, a peeved expression on his middle aged face, a thick brow raised.

"Yes?" I ask him, feeling in a daze.

He chuckles under his breath, "You seem to be elsewhere, are you feeling okay?"

The rest of the class looks at me in strange unison and my face reddens on cue, the attention making me squirm. "Yes I'm fine thank you for asking."

"I noticed Will isn't here today. His mom doing okay?"

My heart warms at his words and a small smile tugs my lips. "I hope so. They started a new treatment today so I'm just waiting for any updates. I'm sorry to disrupt anything." I laugh nervously.

He laughs along with me lightheartedly, "Please don't apologize I was just making sure you're all good."

"I'm all good." I reassure him. He receives this with a nod before continuing the class as if nothing happened. I watch as silence fills the room, everyone continuing their work. Well, except the seniors. We all pretty much do nothing all day.

At lunch everyone does their best to keep my spirits up and my mind off of everything and they actually so a pretty good job. Especially Shane's story about how a guy got a nose bleed in weight lifting today because he was being a hot shot and wasn't taking the necessary safety precautions. I wanted to ask how his coach didn't notice but I decided to leave it alone.