Chapter Seventeen: The Study Buddy

"So you're telling me that you have no extra pencils?" Korbin gives me a dramatically toothy grin

I roll my eyes, keeping my eyes on the front of the classroom, the deadpan look on my face expressing annoyance. "Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, Korbin. I've been telling you for days to get your own pencils!" I hiss.

He sighs, tapping his fingers on the desk repeatedly. "But you know I never remember so maybe you should take it upon yourself to bring some extras?"

My mouth drops open. "You're an idiot!" I groan, reaching into my pencil case in my binder and ripping out a brand new pencil; my only extra. "There! Now leave me alone."

A smirk plays on his lips as he sharpens the mixer of wood and led. "Thanks, it's greatly appreciated." He winks.

My eyes narrow at him. "You have a sharpener but no pencils?"

Korbin shrugs, his green eyes twinkling with amusement. "Eh I knew you had one I could barrow. You're always up for helping those in need, right?"

I huff, balling my hands into fists, and facing the board stubbornly.

The rest of the period is spent ignoring the boy next to me while he tries to get my attention. I remind myself to take him behind the school later and pummel him into the ground with my bare fists.

As the bell rings overhead, I quickly gather my belongings and make a dash for the door. Sadly, my arm is caught by a much bigger, and much stronger person than I.

"What is it, Korbin? Haven't you tortured me enough today?" I groan, turning around.

He winces, running a hand through his unruly long hair. "I'm actually really sorry about that, May. I was just having a bit of fun."

"Fun for whom?" I spit, walking out of the doorway and to my locker.

He follows me much to my dismay, his feet pounding against the floor annoyingly. "Oh come on, May. I just needed a pencil." He chuckles.

I sigh, shoving my binder into my locker and retrieving what I need for my next class. "Korbin...it wasn't about the pencil. You were being super annoying" I snap.

He doesn't say anything for a few moments. He finally clears his throat. "Well I'm sorry, okay? I didn't think you'd be so petty about it."

My eyes meet his and my heart falls. "No I'm sorry. I overreacted and you were just making a joke. I should have just given you the pencil when you asked." I laugh.