Chapter Seven: The Newcomer

"Guys this is Heather

"Guys this is Heather." I chirp, gesturing to the girl next to me happily.

I watch as Shane drops his chicken tender, his mouth wide open. He quickly recovers, closing his mouth and clearing his throat. "Uh yeah...Heather it's good to see you." I watch as Shane looks over at Korbin. He obviously knows.

Remind me to never tell Shane any of my personal secrets. He's a terrible actor.

Heather waves shyly, holding a packed lunch to her chest and looking at me.

"I asked her to sit with us today because...well it's a long story but...yeah. Everyone welcome the newcomer!" I holler, pumping my fist.

No one cheers and I'm left standing there awkwardly. "Okay...let's just eat."

"So tell me, Heather." Korbin puts his book down onto the table, "What have you been up to?"

Heather looks at me and then down at her lunch as she pulls things out of her baby blue Nike lunchbox. "Um not much. Just cheerleading and I joined the mathletes! It was a lot of fun junior year but this year I couldn't join..." she tells us sadly.

I look down at her neatly organized lunch containers filled with tiny finger sandwiches and cut up strawberries.

Okay tell me why she wouldn't be perfect for Will I mean come on.

"Oh really? Why is that?" I ask curiously, biting into my apple.

She sighs, resting her chin in her hand. "Jules said Math is for nerds. It's stupid really but...I guess I embarrassed her."

"Well Jules is a pain in the - "

"Butt." I smile at her, interrupting Korbin.

"That's what I was going to say." He rolls his eyes, turning back to his book.

"No it's okay...she is. I'm not blind. It's just...we've been friends for so long and it's hard to - "

"Hey babe how was your library time?" I hear someone say behind me before large hands are placed on my shoulders, rubbing them gently, their thumbs running over the stress knots.

I sigh, relaxing into the massage for a moment. "It was fine. I mean, I didn't go." I laugh.

"What, why?" Will asks, coming into view and sitting on the other side of me. He obviously hasn't noticed Heather yet.

"She was helping me." Heather pitches in quietly.

Will looks at her with a smile before it visibly vanishes, confusion, and then panic taking over his handsome features. "Heather..."

"Hey Will." She smiles.

No one speaks as Will blink once, twice, three times. "W-what are you..."

"I invited her to sit with us. I hope that's okay." I say, suddenly wondering if this was the worst idea I've ever had.

"Um...yeah sure...hey can we talk, May?" He asks but doesn't wait for a reply before grabbing my arm and pulling me away from the table and into the hall. I give Heather a reassuring smile before disappearing out of sight.