CHAPTER 9

Brady's POV

The last two weeks were tougher to get by. Leighton looked better than ever and has recently claimed me as her 'bestie'. It was harder to avoid her now that we had this new best friend title along with weekly tutor sessions.

I found myself neck deep in love with her in that first month. I tried to get up and dust it off once I fell but it became increasingly impossible as the days dragged on. I can't love her though. She's too perfect and vulnerable, a guy like me could ruin it in a heartbeat.

All my occurrences with love ended in the person leaving me because I took the wrong action. Everyone is forever on the run away from me and my bad luck. Leighton is the one I'll get right. If I don't love her I can't hurt her.

I just needed to get my mind off her. I thought back to the invitation from Donny. He said I should come so maybe I would. What's better to get your mind off a girl than other girls.

My phone idled in my hand as i debated if i should go. Well if I go to the party then I could admire Leighton from afar. The only problem is getting out of the house.

I texted Leighton that I'll be there then quickly showered and got dressed.

I opened the attic door and tiptoed out. Downstairs, my foster pops was drinking a beer and watching the game. No one ever notices me around here unless I'm late.

Sneaking out would be easy.

Sneaking back in?

Now that's where it gets complicated.

I slid down the banister to the second landing. There was a window in the hall that was far enough from the first landing that sir drinks a lot couldn't here me but close enough to the ground for me to use a tree branch to crawl out.

I looked out the window and scoped out the area when a soft, barely audible voice called me.

I froze out of fear of being caught without actually having done anything.

"Brady?" the voice called again but this time I recognized the sweetness of it.

I walked into the doorway.

"Yes ant Mel?" I answered guiltily.

"When you sneak out close the window just a tad. It's chilly." my foster mom said smiling knowingly.

"H-how did you know about that?" I stuttered utterly shocked that she knew.

"I've been looking after you for a few months now. I notice when you try to escape. Now go have some fun before he hears." My foster mom said nodding in the direction of the stairs.

I nodded and began making my way out the room.

"Oh and Brady?" Melissa called out once more. "Be quiet sneaking back in you know how he gets." she said compulsively rubbing her eye that was slightly swollen.

I felt bad looking at her knowing that I'm literally leaving her with a monster.

"Quickly now sunny." she pushed snapping me out of my guilt.

"K." I replied before walking back into the hall and making my way out as quite as a mouse.

I entered the cool night air happy to have one person that cares.