CHAPTER 16

Leighton's POV

Just as I began to worry that he got lost I looked up to spot Brady approach the classroom. When he continued to walk passed it I cautiously raised my hand to get into the hallway before he left.

"Can I.. uh.. drink some water." I asked speaking the first lie that popped into my head.

"Make it quick ms Jones." the teacher responded.

I rushed to the door and flung it open. Brady was already at the other end of the hall so I raced to catch up to him.

Brady.. where.. you going?" I spoke between breaths.

"Bathroom." he stated without looking up or stopping.

"Well then what took you so long if you didn't get a book?" I pointed out getting suspicious.

Still his voice didn't waiver as he explained that he didn't like the book the librarian chose. Although he never gave off anything that pointed towards him being dishonest, I still felt that he was trying to deceive me.

"I don't like being lied to Brady."

"I know." he said after a beat.

Quietness engulfed the conversation, but my brain wouldn't stop rambling. Why was he lying to me. What was so important that he couldn't even look me in the eye when he spoke. I forced the tornado of questions aside and tried to make eye contact.

"Well the prom is next week. Who do you wanna go with?" I asked in an attempt to fill the silence.

"No one." he stated plainly.

"Why not I seen 3 girls ask you." I argued.

"I'm not going alright!" he raised his voice and swiftly went for the exit.

I stood in shock. He never yelled at me before but rather than being upset, I was genuinely worried. Something was wrong and I was determined to find out. I waited a couple minutes then followed him out the building.