CHAPTER 20

Leighton's POV

My eyes flickered open to the steady sounds of Brady's heart monitor increasing in speed. I felt my own heart rate begin to increase as panic overwhelmed me. I listened as the beeping sound became more urgent.

"We're losing him doctor." A nurse shouted attempting to shock him back to normal.

I stood up abruptly unable to move any closer as my body went into shock.

BeepBeepBeepBeeeeeep.

The monitor stopped.

"Brady?! No Brady wake up please!" I yelled finding the power to run towards his bed.

The doctor patted my shoulder lightly

"We've done all we could ma'am." He announced.

"No.." was all that managed to escape my lips as a tear slid down my cheek.

My eyes fluttered open again and I found myself sweating in an uncomfortable hospital chair with my mom.

It was just a dream. I thought to myself.

The doctor approached us telling me that Brady was awake and ready to be seen. I took a deep breath as I stood in front of his door gaining the courage to walk in.

"How long do you plan to stand there? I could see you through the door." A weak voice spoke and a smile came over me as I pictured his grin.

"Depends" I said opening the door "how long were you planning on letting me?"

"Not too long of course." Brady answered with a chuckle.

I took in his state then after deciding it was safe, leaned down to hug him.

"How are you feeling?" I asked the first question that popped into my mind not realizing how stupid it was.

"Actually don't answer that. You're clearly feeling like shit." I said waving my arm to address the machinery he was hooked up to.

He laughed before wincing in pain.

"What happened to you Brady?"

"I...I... I was coming to see you." He responded pausing just enough for me to know that other events were hiding between his hesitations.

"Brady you're my best friend you can trust me with anything." I reeasured.

After a slow deep sigh he began talking again.

"Well the truth is I haven't been living up to that title. I-I've been keeping 2 terrible secrets from you. One is that I get beaten by my foster dad daily to try and save my foster mom from his abuse." He hung his head and shivered composing himself as I stood in shock. "..and the other is that-"

Just then, he was cut off by someone bursting through the hospital doors.

Our heads whirled towards the slam.

To my surprise Donny stood in the door way red with anger.

"Stop! Don't say it Brady. I'll kill you." He yelled.

"She needs to know you're an asshole." He stated challengingly before turning to me.

"Leigh,he's cheating on you. He had sex with Katherine, she's pregnant and keeping it."

"What?!" I screamed looking at Donny hoping it wasnt true. I could not believe my ears. Two betrayals in one sentence.

"You little shit!" Donny lunged for Brady fist ready but didn't make impact as two male nurses grabbed him.

"Sir we're going to have to remove you." The muscular nurse stated restricting Donny's hands.

"He's not so innocent either." Donny yelled as the nurses struggled to contain him.

"I bet your 'best friend' didn't tell you he went to jail for murder." Donny managed to get out while struggling against the guards.

"He explained that already it was an accident." I said trying to defend him.

"No no." He grinned " I'm talking about the second time." He smiled triumphly at Brady before being dragged from the room.

My eyes widened and I took a step away from my "best friend".

"Please tell me that's not true." I begged horrified as my brain tried to digest all the revealings.

"I could explain, it's not how it sounds." Brady tried to get up but the tubes in his arm stopped him.

I backed all the way into the door trying to keep the distance between us.

"Stay away from me you monster! It sounds like you killed somebody!"

Angry and sad tears mixed together as they ran down my face creating railroad tracks of mascara.

I ran through the doors ignoring Brady's calls for me to come back.

The elevator ride seemed like centuries trapped in a box while I became short of breath.

I rushed passed Donny who was forced to wait outside the hospital entrance. He was pacing furiously when he noticed I'd arrived. I shook him off as he tried to grab my arm. I speed walked into the parking lot trying to spot my moms car through my blurred vision and the darkness of night.

"Leighton!" Donny screamed once more.

I spun around to see him rushing towards me.

"What the hell else do you have to-" I was cut off by the screech of burning rubber. I didn't notice the car.

There was a sharp pain shooting through my right side as I was hit. I could hear the bones break as my body flew onto the windshield and glass shattered around me, pricking my body like raindrops.

"Leighton!" Was the last thing I heard before I lost consciousness.