Chapter 6

"My Childhood Friend, Sam, called me after Moms funeral and persuaded me to move to L.A. His Dad had a marketing Company there and it was a highly respectable one. His Father, Mr. Ludwick, was a great man. He saw a lot of potential in me. I remember on the First day of the job, he called me into his Office. He gave me his condolences, and told me straight up he wasn't going to cut me any slack. We all have our grievances. We can allow them to swallow us hole or let it motivate us. He liked my resume and wanted me to help move his Company forward. However, I had to start at the bottom, as his Assistant. I moved my way up rather quickly. Fast forward a couple years, he decides to move his company to London. He comes to the Office and told me to pack my bags. I was going to be Junior Vice President of Marketing."
"And your friend? Sam?"
"Sam never took any interest in his Dad's company. He was too busy following Miss Elizabeth Heigl around like a puppy dog. He fell hard for her. She eventually broke his heart and dropped off the face of the earth. I would ask Mr. Ludwick about his son and it was always the same answer; Sam was ignoring his phone calls and eventually changed his number. Uh, two years later, Mr. Ludwick passed away from Prostate Cancer. I never saw it coming. I was shocked to learn that he left me everything. The company, stock and a couple Million dollars. It motivated me to work even harder. George Ludwick's Company was his life. So to honor the man, Ludwick & Bower Marketing is still operating today. It's the company on the 20th Floor."

This man lost every person he's ever loved. My heart broke for him. He smiled at me and I knew he would ask about my past.
"So, friend, what's your story?" He got up to get the bottle of wine. He filled his glass and motioned if I wanted more. I said no. He sat down, leaned back and crossed his legs looking at me.
"Well...my younger sister and I were raised by our Great Uncle, maternal side. My mom died giving birth to my sister and Dad just skipped town. My Uncle Robert was a great man. My sister and I were spoiled by him. He owned several Gas Stations and Auto Body Shops. You would think I know a little something about cars, but I don't."
He smiled.

"Uncle Rob wanted the best for us so he made sure TV and outdoor playing were strictly for the weekends. And it worked. We both graduated from Pennsylvania State University and made Dean's List. After Graduation my sister decided to go to Law School and graduates. Uncle Robert Died a two years after my sister Jocelyn's graduation. Lung Cancer. He died doing what he loved best, smoking a cigar. Any who, Jocelyn met her Husband shortly after that and they got married. She never practiced Law. I took several jobs at a News Station for several years. Hated it and met my then boyfriend, Robbie Lessep. He was my first love. I loved him so much that when a job became available for him here, I crossed the pond with him. Uprooted for him. Oh and he was born and raised here. Imagine that!"
I roll my eyes.
"I got to meet his parents the same day we got here. They didn't hide their distaste for me. They weren't to thrilled that he left to study in America or that he brought a souvenir with him. Me, of course."

"Fast forward a year, he tells me he's going away for the Weekend with his parents. I really wanted to go, but I know his parents didn't invite me so I left that alone. The day he comes back he tells me that he can't see me anymore. It's not me, it's him. Came and got his stuff a week later. It was such a shock. I think I cried for a month straight. My sister wanted me to come home but I refused. I had more than enough money to survive a year; thanks to the inheritance Uncle Rob left us."

"Worked a couple of jobs here and there. Stayed to myself. Didn't want to be bothered at all with anybody. Once I saw that the money was getting low I decided it was time to start my career or move back to Pennsylvania. I chose Bower Tower." He smiled and put his hand on my mine.
"I'm glad you made that decision."
"Why?" I said looking down at our hands.
"Well...truth be told," he removed his hand from mine, "I was watching you all during the entire interview process. Especially you. My eyes were glued on you until you left the Tower, each time. " Weird.
"I was honestly looking for an Executive Assistant for my #2 guy. I wanted to step down as CEO and let Brad run things. I wasn't happy anymore. I was working so hard and never had any me time to do anything else. Everyone in that Building bent backwards for me. No one ever questioned me. I guess they knew better not too. And I saw the other four candidates would do the same. You laughed and giggled the entire interview process. You laughed in Fray's face when he made a mistake in the second interview. The disrespect and rudeness had me laughing. And, uh, the day before your last interview I found out that Brad was giving away company secrets to someone else. And they were paying him handsomely."
"What!?" I was shocked. No wonder he was so on edge the first day I met him.
"He never showed up for work that day. The Police were waiting in his Office to arrest him. They did, however, find him at the Airport leaving for Australia hours later. Anyways, uh..."
He stood and took our glasses to the sink. He walked back, grabbed me by my elbow and helped me up. He led me to a hidden staircase behind the kitchen. Grabbing my hand, we walked up the stairs,  he continued to talk, "...we never found out who he was giving the information too. All the Detective told me was that he is afraid to talk. He would rather go to prison."