Chapter 37

"Did you eat Breakfast?"
It was 10am and Lucas called to check on me.
"Yes, I had two pancakes and I'm currently eating a Yogurt."
"I think you should be eating more than that. Did you have at least bacon or sausage with that?"
"I wasn't that hungry. I told you my appetite has been off. I already spoke to a Nurse and she said eating a little is fine. As long as I'm eating something."
It got quiet on his end. I had to check my phone to make sure we didn't get disconnected.
"When did you speak to a Nurse?"
"Early this morning?"
"I know you didn't call her just about your non existing eating habit. What's wrong? Are you okay?"
He always knew when I was hiding something from him.
"It's really nothing. Last night I couldn't sleep. I had cramps. Like the ones I usually get when my period is about to start. It's not painful, but it's bothersome."
"Why didn't you tell me?! Are you okay? Is the baby okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine. Relax! She said I could always come in and get checked."
"Okay, I'm leaving now. Be ready. We're going straight to Doctor."
"But wait!-"
Too late. He had hung up.
I love my Husband, but he was being annoying. It hadn't been two weeks since he found out I was pregnant and I wanted to pull my hair. Was it really going to be like this for 9 months? I pray not.

I walked the entire house looking for something, anything to do. Lucas was going to be home in seconds and I just wanted to preoccupy myself. I was going stir crazy being in the House. I didn't want to even tell him I wanted to go back to work. It's one thing to protect me, but now that I was carrying his child, he would chain me to the bed to make sure I didn't leave the house. It wasn't worth the aggravation.

I went into Luke's Office and used his computer. There was nothing like surfing the web. I pull up a baby site and start browsing cribs, dressers, toys, and strollers. God there was so many things to buy. I print pictures of everything I like. I'd show them to Lucas and we could go from there. He would love Baby shopping. Probably more than me.

I stand from the chair, getting ready to leave the Office, when Luke's Office Phone rings.
"Hello. Bower Residence. How can I help you?"
"Jasmen. It's Diana. How are you?"
As far as Executive Assistants go, Diana was Luke's #2. Martin was #1.
"Hi. I'm fine. What's up?"
"I'm looking for Mr. Bower. It's important that I speak to him. You know I'd never call the house but I have to talk to him. It's urgent. Like bad urgent."
"Oh! He's actually on his way home."
I look up and out the Window. The Porsche was coming up the Driveway.
"Give me a minute Diana. He's actually pulling up right now."
"Perfect, I'll wait."

I put the phone down and meet Lucas at the Door.
"Why aren't you ready? Come on!"
"No Luke, listen, Diana called. She's on the phone in your Office."
"Yeah, I saw she called my cell phone but I ignored it. You are more important. Go and get dressed."
"It's urgent. She sounds worried."
Lucas exhales. He had an annoyed looked to him. I know he wanted to make sure I was okay, but this call had me worried. I follow him into the Office. He snatched the phone from the desk and puts his hand on his hip.
"What is it Diana!?"
I stood near him to hear her.
"I am so sorry to call you at Home, but I needed to tell you that Martin never made it to L.A. The contract had a deadline and since it wasn't delivered, we have to push everything back 6 months."
"What?! He stopped by the Office and picked everything up two weeks ago. What are you talking about!?"
"Sir, he never boarded the Plane. I called and verified. No one has seen him for almost three week."
I looked at Lucas. He was pissed but then he started to look worried.
"Is there a reason why I'm just hearing about this?
"Well, he was supposed to be back two weeks ago. HR said he had emailed them something about needing Personal Time Off. I have never known him to do that. He hasn't missed a day in 6 years. I didn't know anything until everything started being routed to me. I'm worried."
"Martin lives with his Brother. Call and check on him. If you don't hear anything by tomorrow, call me Diana."
He hangs up and sits at his desk.
"Fuck! Martin better be curled up somewhere dying!"
"What?"
"He just costed me a years worth of preparation for the LA Tower! God Damnit!"
I just stood there looking at him in disbelief. He was just told Martin didn't slack on anything, and he was hoping for the guys death?
He put his head down on the desk and exhaled.
"And if he's dead?"
He looked up at me confused. I turned and walked away.
"What about your appointment ?"