Unknown Whereabouts

I started to tap my foot. I was near the front door waiting for Sandra. She just had to take her damn time. I started to play with my hair, it was still a little wet, but I had a feeling that it was going to get wet again. It was supposed to rain today, I could almost feel it. Almost smell it in the air.

Sandra told me to get dressed twenty minutes ago, and I did it in five minutes flat. I just threw on a sweater, jeans and a pair of my old vans. But Sandra thought she could just take her time, then tell me to get a move on it. Stepmothers are worse than real mothers. Well, sometimes.

"Can you hurry up?! You rush me to hurry up then you're the one who lags behind.." I scowled at Sandra, I rolled my eyes. I wasn't the best when it came to patience.

Sandra was getting her purse ready. She whipped her blonde hair back and looked at me, "God, 17 year olds are the worst.." Sandra chuckled, she rushed passed me to her car.

Sandra was taking me somewhere, I didn't know where, most likely a late birthday thing. Almost 4 months late. But I didn't blame her, my dad's death wasn't easy on her, me neither because he was my last best friend. He died a few days before my birthday, his cause of death is still unknown but the doctors said his clock ran out. I don't know about you, but 43 wasn't that old. He didn't even make it to the infamous mid-life crisis.

But the bad thing about his death is that Sandra was my legal guardian now. It's not that I didn't like Sandra, she was just too protective. For a stepmother, she's was a little crazy. But was a sweetheart, I had to admit. She would put anybody before her own self. She reminded me of my mom a lot. But I liked Sandra better because Sandra would never leave me. No matter what. We walked to the car, I got into the passenger's seat. Sandra got in and put her seat belt on. I started to play with my hair. Noticing the car didn't turn on, I looked at her. She raised her eyebrow, "Forgetting something?" Sandra pointed to my seatbelt.

"Ugh.." I groaned. I pulled the seatbelt over me and clicked it into place, "Happy, Sandra?" I looked out the window.

She finally turned the car on, the car vibrated a little, "Thank you. And don't call me Sandra. You can call me mom, you know.."

I snapped my head around, "You're not my mom!" I yelled. I could feel my face turn red with rage. She always wants me to call her mom, but it would be an insult if I called her that. Sometimes, I just wanted to criticize her for coming into such a family.

Sandra flinched at my anger, she gripped the steering wheel. "S-Sorry.." She spoke up. I faced the window again. Sandra started to pull off, I heard her sniff. I hated being an ass to Sandra, but sometimes she puts it on herself.

Rain started to fall, the misty, oaky smell seeped through my cracked window. It reminded me of my mom. My real mom. She would always take me to La Push when it rained, it would always rain on my birthday. She didn't mind the long drive, it was one of her ways of calming down.

We lived in Tacoma and La Push was about 3 hours away from our house. When we made it to La Push, mom and I would sit on a damp rock and watched the drops of water across the water. We would try to count the amount of ripples each drop would make. The most I ever counted was eight.

I remember one time, a massive lightening strike hit a tree, almost 50 feet away from us. It was beautiful and deadly. My mom took a picture of it, but she took it a little late. The picture is just the ghostly shadow of the strike. I usually kept the picture in my back pocket for when I'm having a bad day. Unfortunately I left it in my room today because Sandra rushed me, so I didn't have time to grab it.

"Liana Bremer!" Sandra said.

I snapped out of my thoughts, "W-What?" I turned to her. I never really admired her beauty, her blonde hair was prettier than mine, she had soft cheeks. She definitely had some laugh lines, I remember all the time my dad would make the corniest jokes, and Sandra would laugh at every single one of them.

"I said close your window, the seats are getting wet.." She said. Sandra was already on the highway.

I rolled them up unwillingly, "Where are we going?" I asked. I looked up to see Sandra, but my eyes landed on her chain that was on the read view mirror. The chain held a little plush lady bug on it. She must have gotten it recently. I wasn't too fond of lady bugs. I mean, everybody has their fears, but they're not scary at all. They just freak me out, maybe because my real mom loved them so much?

"It's a surprise.." She said in a lively voice. Sandra had a smile on her face, that smile a mother has when she has a really good surprise but she's know her child will hate it with all their might.

"Sandra, just tell me.." I sighed, my eyes finally shifted to Sandra.

"Sorry.." Sandra shrugged her shoulders, "Can't tell you.."

"If it's a late birthday thing then just tell me!"

"Okay, fine..." Sandra glared at me, "Before your dad died.."

"Don't.." I choked. I didn't like the word 'died'. It didn't seem respectfully to the afterlife. It's just simply making them like the other millions of people who 'die' everyday. Making them normal, and not unique. People pass with a story, and sometimes, that story should be told. Not just simply said.

"Sorry, before your dad passed, he told me that you used to love going to La Push.." She started.

"You think you can just take me to La Push? You don't have the right to at all..." I raised my voice, Sandra and I could do many things together, but going to La Push was definitely not one of them.

"I knew you would act this way, so before we left.." She passed a Volvo, "I contacted your dad's old friend, Billy Black, he lives on the Rez. Billy has a son of his own, although I forget his name, but him and a couple of his friends can take you to La Push. I think they're your age.."

"Yay..." I groaned and leaned back in the seat. I pulled my dark brown hair into a ponytail. It draped down my shoulder. I exhaled slowly, then I breathed in the smell of the oaky, misty rain. It reminded me of my mom again. I smiled to myself, but then the good memories washed away. I remembered what she did to me and my dad.

"I know you don't like it when I say this..." Sandra started, she was going 70 mph.

"I swear to God, Sandra, if you say it..." I darted my eyes to her, snapping my neck around.

"As much as you hate your mom, you're like her twin.." She smiled, "Christina was beautiful, and you've seemed to take her genes.."

"That's it, I'm killing myself."

"I know she left you guys, but she is your mother..." Sandra glanced at me, "If you care about the people you love the most, it's okay to be mad at the heartbreak they caused you. But in the end, that heartbreak will be patched up, stitch by stitch, every little day at a time..."

"I don't care. You don't know what pain she has caused me. I hate her. Just stop talking.." I closed my eyes. The pain and remorse started to come back to me.

Sandra sighed at me for not even trying to take her advice into consideration. Sandra started to go 80 mph. Whenever Sandra made it pass 80, she would always drive with one hand. She would rest her left hand on the window sill.

I laid my head back and closed my eyes, I usually take a small nap around 2pm, but it was 2:15 pm. I wanted to have a quick nap before we got there. I had the urge to dream about Billy's sons and his friends. Maybe they were hot? Maybe I've met them before but didn't remember? What if they won't like me?

I could hear myself, lightly snoring.