One More Piece Gone

BEEP....BEEP....BEEP...

I thought I heard Sandra's heartbeat until I realized I was feeling the beat in my own chest. Everything hurt, everything was sore. I didn't understand why Mason and his friends would try to hurt me, but like Jake said, revenge. But why? Something would have driven Mason to kill Jake's past girlfriend. Unless, she was never Jake's to begin with.

I continued my thoughts amongst myself until voices spoke.

"I can tell her if you want, I can understand how hard it is, especially since it, or was, your first.." A stranger male voice said.

"I think I'll tell her.." Jake replied, "Thank you.." Jake sighed, his steps got close to my side. The sound of a chair's pad crunched and eased into a light sound of air, Jake sat to my right.

I didn't want to wake up on my own, I couldn't bare to hear the news. I tossed and turned out of fear. Jake's warm, big hand wrapped around mine. My face twitched into a smile, a reflex almost. The slits of my eyes pulled from each other, revealing Jake's perfect face, along with slight bags under his eyes.

"You look tired.." I mumbled, rubbing my thumb on the top of his hand.

"I'm fine.." Jake could smile through anything, especially pain. My heart raced, Jake could hear it on the monitor, "Liana.."

"I-I just don't like hospitals, you know. I just want to leave.."

"We can, but.." Jake hesitated and looked down at the floor. He didn't want to tell me either.

I released his hand and sat up in the bed, "I'm getting dressed.." I swung my legs over the bed and shot up to stand. I peeled off the heart monitor pads, within removing two of them, I was flatlining. The familiar sound made my heart race even more, even though I was "dead".

Jake pulled the plug from the outlet to turn the machine off, "Careful Liana, you just lost the b-" Jake forcefully stopped himself before he could finish.

I was already facing away him, my face wet from the silent tears coming. Looking at Jake would make me feel the same way I felt when Sandra died. I didn't feel like wiping the tears, I'm so used to crying, they didn't even bother me.

"C-Can you bring me my clothes..?" I sniffed.

"Liana.." Jake reassured, "You don't have to rush this, it's okay to grieve.."

I finally moved my hands across my face, getting only some of the tears off of my face because I knew more would just continue on falling. Turning around, I saw my clothes on the foot of the bed. I reached for my pants.

"Talk to me.." Jake stood up.

Eye contact with Jake hurt me even more, "I've been grieving my entire life, Jacob. You have no clue to what I'm feeling right now.." Instead of taking off the hospital gown, I slid my pants up under the gown. Being naked in front of Jake was the last thing I wanted to do.

"I've lost my mother too, Liana, don't think you're the only one.." Jake's jaw clenched.

"Did you lose your dad? Did you lose your step mother? Did you lose your ungrateful biological mother? Did you lose your unborn child?!" I screamed furiously. All the constant anger and grief couldn't be held back anymore, I was so used to it.

"Goddamn it, it was mine too!" Jake raised his voice. My face became filled with remorse when I realized that the baby wasn't just mine, it was half of Jake and I. Jake clenched into the bed side railings, trying not to do any harm to me. I haven't noticed lately he's been trying to calm his anger issues, he's been changing for me and the baby. And now there was no baby, was there even a point of him trying to change now?