The Sight

I stepped all the way in the room, Jake closely behind. Tears fell before I saw Sandra's broken body. There was a dent where her rib cage was. She had a crushed leg that was hung up. She was asleep, all medicated up. She twitched now and then, she could still feel the pain.

I walked on the left side of her bed, I took a look at her face. A little scratched up, also some burn marks from the lightening. The breathing tubes in her nose scared me, she couldn't breath on her own. Her head was wrapped up, blood spatters on the side of the wrapping.

A doctor walked in the room, a male slightly taller than Jake. He made eye contact with me, "You are?" His raspy voice spoke up.

"Sandra's daughter. Step daughter.." I sniffed, "Is she going to be okay?" I walked towards him.

He had a clip board in his hand, he flipped through the papers, "As of right now, we can't tell. Sandra's BP is a little low, slight fever, collapsed lung, broken leg, fractured spinal cord. It doesn't look too good.." He looked up at me. His name tag said Dr. Andrew.

Jake walked over to Sandra's side, he placed his hand on Sandra's forearm. Sandra's heart rate beeped faster. Jake pulled away fast, "S-Sorry.." He backed up.

"It's just a response of contact. We think if someone emotionally close to Sandra can touch her, she might wake up out of her coma.." The doctor walked over to the heart montitor.

"Coma? How long will she been in a coma?" I started to cry harder. Jake walked over to me and rubbed my back. He gave me the chills.

"Like I said, we don't know. Try making contact and talk to her. She won't be able to talk back, but she can still hear you.." Dr. Andrew placed his hand onto of Sandra's head, and again her heart rate beeped faster. He pulled away, "When her vitals come back into the normal range and she's stable, your friends in the waiting room can come in.." Dr. Andrew headed for the door.

He walked pass and nodded, almost grinning. Dr. Andrew walked out and closed the door. I walked over to the chair on the left side of her bed. I sat down, pulled my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them.

A boom of thunder rumbled the hospital.

"You don't have to be here.." I said softly, I looked up at Jake.

"I want to..." He walked over to the chair next to me. Jake sat down, he rubbed my back again. The chills from his hand started to calm me. I was calm, most of the time, when Jake was near me.

"I have nobody else. If Sandra..." I faded off. I sniffed and wiped my tear.

"You don't have to say it.." Jake spoke up, softly and caring.

I turned to him, "If she passes, I won't have anybody else that I love.."

"Are you sure about that?" Jake asked doubtfully.

"My dad is gone, my mom is just a selfish bitch.." I chuckled sarcastically, "If Sandra goes, I'll have no one else. I'll be on my own. I can't pay the bills for my dad's house.."

"You have people who care about you, Liana.." Jake said.

"Oh yeah. You. That makes me feel so much better. I barely know you.." I put my knees all the way down. I leaned my elbow on the arm rest. I held the brim of my nose.

Jake flinched a little at my words, it almost offended him, "Does it matter..?" Jake slipped his hand onto mine, I almost pulled away but I kept it in his hands, "Who cares if you barely know me? I care about you.." Jake looked me in my eye.

I gasped a little, I slipped my hand out of his.

"A-And Sandra. You and Sandra.." Jake stammered, "What I'm trying to say is that just let people that you don't know, care. The more they care, the more you get to know them.." He had a small smile.