Chapter 1

"Open this door, Elna!" His voice shouted, adding to my already existing headache.

"I've had enough of your 'discipline' methods." I muttered under my breath as I walked to my small closet, pulling out the suitcase that I had packed for a while now. I looked over my shoulder towards my sister that is sitting in one of the room's corners, shaking with her wide eyes staring at me, flickering towards the door every now and again. I do not blame her though; my so-called father is banging on the door and I swear it would break off any second now. I walked over to my sister and crouched down to her level to take her hands in mine, I had to try and calm her down, otherwise this would never go according to plan.

"Lizzy, you knew that this day would have come sooner or later. Rubbing her cheek with my thumb, I tucked a stray piece of har behind her ear, You have a choice though; You could stay here with them, or we both could both move back to our real home. Lizzy this is not a healthy family and I refuse to stay here any longer when we could live a happy life and not hide in a room majority of the day," She looked at me with sad and sorrowful eyes nodding with a small 'yes', tears rolling down her cheeks.

"C'mon. We can get the rest of our stuff somewhere else, that door isn't going to hold much longer." I said with a small smile and stood up.

We went over to the only window in our room and I watched as my sister climbed down the tree and ran to the car in the driveway, getting it ready for us. Just as I was about to climb down myself, the door barged open with a loud bang, lock braking and falling to the floor.

I watched as the people that call themselves my parents enter the room with furious faces. I looked them in the eyes and smirked giving them one last mocking salute as I jumped down the tree, not bothering about the height.

I ran towards the car that was waiting on the empty road with a nervous looking Lizzy at the steering wheel. As soon as she saw me, she jumped over to the passenger seat. I reached the car getting behind the wheel, giving the place that I swore never to call my home one last hateful glance before speeding off.

I looked in the direction of Lizzy and saw that she was looking out of the window, into the darkness of the sky, not a single star in sight. I was surprised that she was not freaking out, normally when I drove, she holds onto the seat for dear life, playfully mocking me, but all that playfulness was gone now as we sat in silence. Looking back at the road in front of me, thoughts went through my mind as the streetlamps whizzed past.

My face stared back at me from the reflection of the windscreen. There is not much to me, I am a teenage girl turning eighteen in a few months with chocolate brown hair, dull brown eyes that used to hold dreams and sparks of life, but all that theyre reflecting now is a hard headed steeled off girl, too paranoid to trust.

The girl next to me is Elizabeth Winter, my twin, and the more girly part of us that loves malls and makeup and all sorts of jewels around her neck or on her fingers and wrists. She has the same brown hair with a shade lighter than me at shoulder length with a lot of layers framing her face perfectly. Her eyes are identical to mine, the only difference? She has more hope in them. She is more innocent, not as exposed to the cruel world like I was.

My mom used to be beautiful, she had pitch black hair with ocean blue eyes and a thin slim figure, while my father had more of a sandy blond color for his hair, and chocolate brown eyes, but after a while, they let themselves go, not caring about their health. A frown etched its way onto my face when I recalled the memory that haunts me still to this day. The reason Lizzy and I got exposed to our parents day drinking and doing drugs right in front of us, not caring that we were not even supposed to be within a reaching distance of it.

I quickly wiped my face of any emotion and steeled my heart once more when I realized Lizzy was staring at me with concerned filled eyes. I drove to the gas station up ahead and quickly pulled over to avoid the conversation that I knew she wanted to have, she always wanted to talk about it, she does not understand that I did not though, I never wanted to relive that night.

"Why are we stopping here?" she asked with confusion, staring around, and pulling her jacket tighter around her to protect herself from the cold wind blowing into the car.

"This car runs on diesel, and the tank is almost empty. So, if you do not mind, could you please sort that out for me." I said stepping out of the vehicle.

"And where are you going?" Lizzy asked curiously with a raised eyebrow. She tries to play it off with a playful air, but I know that shes scared, she does not want to be left alone with the chance of someone we do not want to recognize us coming over.

"I'm getting some snacks and food to stuff your fat, greedy butt," I said with a smile and a wink while she places a hand on her chest faking hurt while I made my way over to the store with the same amused smile plastered on my face. As the door opened, I felt the cold air of the AC hit me before I made my way over to the sickly sweet, sugary sweets. I grabbed a bunch of different colorful packets before going to the sandwiches.

When I left the shop and made my way back to the car, I made eye contact with somebody staring at me, but the weird thing was that when I made eye contact with him, he looked away. I just kept on walking, I looked around to see if he was still looking over at me, but the only thing I saw was a grey wall peeling off, he was gone.

"How much do you plan on eating Elna?" My sister asked shocked lacing her voice when I got back into the warm car. I laughed and pulled out of the gas station before playing the radio songs as loud as I could, singing along to the words we knew as we laughed, chatted, and ate almost everything I bought. I caught Lizzy yawning, convincing her to sleep before we arrived at our destination. She just nodded too tired to argue, taking her black wool jacket and used it as a pillow.

Meanwhile, I was not sleepy at all. I was excited. I could not wait to see all my friends and family again, the only problem was that we would have to go back to our previous boarding school, where I would, once again, have to face the people I most certainly did not want to...

A/N

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my book!

It does get better as it goes along. I worked on this book for a year I think and when I started I just wrote stories to improve my writing skills in English and it definitely helped and improved along the way!

But I want to give a special thanks to for all the support! She's working on a book herself and it's amazing so far! Just give her some time and she will have it published!

Thank you all again❤